Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Change in your circumstances

It is important that you tell us of any change in your circumstances which affects your business rates. This ensures that the amount of business rates you are asked to pay is correct.

Examples of changes which should be reported are:

  • if you are entitled to rate relief, or you think your entitlement should end or change
  • change of address – where and when you moved
  • if your property changes from empty to occupied
  • if your property changes from occupied to empty
  • if you are getting an allowance for partial occupation and the part of the property that is occupied either decreases or increases in size
  • if your property is exempt from business rates and the reason for the exemption no longer exists
  • buying or selling business premises – including additional premises. 

Not every change you need to tell us about is shown above. If you are not sure whether to tell us about a change, tell us anyway.

What will happen when I tell you about a change?

We will have a look at your account and, if necessary, calculate your business rate bill again. If there is a change in the amount you have to pay we will send you a new business rates bill which will show your new charge and instalments. If there have been structural alterations or a change of use, we may have to refer this to the Valuation Office Agency for them to reassess the property.

Last updated: 04/08/2022 10:47

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact