Pets are an important member of the family and family life. You'll not only need to make emergency plans for yourself but all your pets as well. View our information leaflet 'Plan for your Animals'.
If you have to remain in your home
- ensure that all pets remain indoors with you where it is safe - remember all animals/pets can feel frightened or scared as well!
- keep a minimum of 3 days supply of pet food and drinking water inside a waterproof containers
In many instances for short term overnight evacuations it may be appropriate to leave certain pets safely indoors, but there will be instances when this is not an option.
If you have to evacuate your home:
- plan ahead to ensure that your pets will have a safe place to stay and ensure your ‘grab bag’ contains the items you will need to care for your pet
- check with friends and/or relatives living outside your immediate area to see if they are willing and able to shelter you and your animals, or just your animals, if necessary
- if you have to evacuate, the council has a number of animal shelters identified who will ensure your pets are well cared for during this unfortunate period. For access to this service your pet will need appropriate vaccination certificates.
Last updated: 15/03/2019 08:59