Occupational therapy

Occupational therapy assess you and your home environment to help identify issues that need adapting to enable you to live confidently, safely and as independently as possible.

Your occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant will work with you to maximise your independence, using various techniques and offering equipment on loan, however if your needs are more complex and long term, adaptations to your property will be considered. This is where you may be able to access funding by an application for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

Occupational therapy equipment

Equipment may help you to manage every day activities around your home, such as showering or getting on and off the toilet. We can assess for equipment that may support you and provide this on loan for you. We always look for equipment solutions before we consider adapting the environment.

There is a wide variety of products available to purchase both on the high street and online. You may wish to consider this before requesting a referral for an assessment.

Falls prevention:
If you have fallen, are at risk of falling or are fearful of falling contact the NHS falls therapy service for an assessment - this could help prevent future falls and injury. You can find information about their services and discuss referrals to their team by visiting the Shropshire community health website

Community physiotherapist:
A community physiotherapist is the most appropriate professional to assess your mobility and we work closely with them. You can find more information about the NHS community physiotherapy service and to discuss a referral to their team by visiting the Shropshire community health website

Wheelchair services:
We do not assess for wheelchairs and scooters. If you are interested in discussing your eligibility for this service, please discuss with a healthcare professional or you can find more information by visiting the Shropshire community health website.

Returning equipment on loan

If you or someone you know has had equipment on loan from Telford & Wrekin Council following an occupational therapy assessment and would like to return it you can contact the Community Equipment Stores on 01952 603838 to arrange the return.

Broken equipment, repairs and replacements

If you have a broken piece of equipment and would like it repaired or require a replacement please contact Family Connect on telephone: 01952 385385 (when prompted, please select option three). Alternatively, if you feel that the equipment you were issued on loan is no longer meeting your needs and would like a reassessment please contact My Choice on telephone: 01952 385385 (when prompted, please select option two).

Moving and handling

If you are a carer and are having difficulties moving the person you care for you can contact your Healthcare professional and request a referral to the NHS Moving and handling team.

Occupational therapy adaptations

Adaptations to your home may include:

  • minor adaptations such as grab rails or stair rails - this covers works up to £1,000 but this is at no cost to you. We will seek the consent of your landlord if you are in rented accommodation. If you live in a Wrekin Housing Trust property you do not require an occupational therapy assessment to request this and you can contact them directly on 01952 217100. You can view more information about their Adaptations and Handy Person Service by visiting the Wrekin Housing Trust website
  • major adaptations such as showering facilities or access to upstairs - this is completed under the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). You will require an Occupational Therapy recommendation for an adaptation. The DFG is means tested and determined by the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996. As part of the grant guidelines retrospective funding for adaptations already started or completed is not provided, therefore if you have begun work to your home already, you will not be able to claim funding back. You can view information on the DFG eligibility criteria on the GOV.UK website.

If you are considering making alterations to your home independently you can find out about local traders on our Home improvements and repairs information pages.

If you have had an occupational therapy assessment that resulted in you having an adaptation to your home, we would like to hear your feedback.

Complete our occupational therapy feedback form

Requesting an occupational therapy assessment

You can contact My Choice on telephone: 01952 916030 to discuss an occupational therapy assessment and Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG).

My Choice may be able to offer an assessment and provision of some of the low level equipment available. If a more in depth assessment is required due to your circumstances, My Choice will refer you to Family Connect.

Family Connect will gather information to determine your specific needs and pass this onto the occupational therapy team who will assess priority. There may be a waiting list for an occupational therapy assessment. Clinic appointments can be offered if suitable, this may mean that you are seen quicker.

Useful links

Last updated: 3.02pm on Sunday 1 March 2020