Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Care Act assessment

If you are finding everyday activities hard to manage, you or someone on your behalf can contact us to discuss your situation. With your agreement, we can complete an assessment with you to find out what your needs are.

What is a Care Act assessment?

A Care Act assessment is when we will discuss with you, your family, friends, carer or advocate, your situation and how you are managing everyday activities. This could include managing your personal care, getting out and about and being part of the community or household tasks.

This will help us to understand all the strengths that you have in your life, what you are able to do and what support you may need regain, or develop skills, to continue, or begin, to live as independently as possible. Your thoughts and views, and those of people important to you, will be captured as part of your assessment.

View and download the My Care Act assessment conversation - What to think about before your assessment document.

View and download the My Care Act Review conversation - What to think about before your review document.

Who can have a Care Act assessment?

  • If you are a permanent resident within Telford and Wrekin.
  • If you are over the age of 18.
  • If you are in the process of transition from children’s services to adult services

If you look after someone you can ask for a Carers assessment. View more information and support available for Carers in the looking after someone information pages.

Where can I have an assessment?

Depending on your needs and preferences you can have a Care Act assessment over the telephone or face to face, or via a video call.

Who will do the assessment?

A Social Worker or Adult Practitioner will work with you, the people important to you, other professionals involved in your life. This can include your GP, Nurse, specialist health professional, Psychologist, Psychiatrist or occupational Therapist. We will ask for your consent to share information with other professionals to ensure your receive the most helpful advice, information and support.

What happens next?

Once we have spoken with you and you have had opportunity to view all the information captured we will then determine if you are eligible for support using the Care Act eligibility criteria. The legal guidelines set out in the Care Act can be viewed on our eligibility criteria page.

If we provide support your allocated worker will be able to discuss the options available to you in order to support your independence further. If we are unable to support you we will offer you advice and information of other organisations that may be able to help.

Assessment reviews

If you receive support from Adult Social Care a review of your support will take place on an annual basis, for some people it may take place more than once a year, your allocated worker will be able to explain this to you further. You can contact Adult Social Care at any time if your circumstances change.

Is there a charge for a Care Act assessment?

The assessment and any information and advice are free. The services you receive as a result of the assessment are not free. Depending on your financial circumstances you may have to contribute to the cost of any support provided. To find out if you are eligible for financial support we will complete a financial assessment.

What is a financial assessment?

This looks at your income, including pensions, savings and benefits. View information on Paying for your care. The information you give us will be treated confidentially and will only be shared with other people with your permission.

How do I request a Care Act Assessment?

If you require first time help or are unsure what help is available, Wellbeing Independence Partnership will assist you to make a referral to Adult Social Care and will assist you to access information, advice or advocacy.

Wellbeing Independence Partnership are available from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

  • Telephone: 01952 385385 (when prompted, please select option two)
  • Alternatively if you are Deaf/deaf, hard of hearing or unable to use a phone, you can email: wip@tandwcvs.org.uk

If you wish to make a referral for care and support and/or occupational therapy, if you already receive services from Adult Social Care and your circumstances have changed or if you want to report concerns of abuse, neglect or harm or you are at risk.

Family Connect and Adult Safeguarding are available from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

The Care Act 2014

If you would like further information visit our Care Act 2014 information pages.

Last updated: 03/05/2022 14:56