Applications for transport can take up to 20 working days to process.
Please be aware if your child has or is moving school you will need to re-apply for transport assistance. Furthermore, if you have moved or are intending to move address at any point, a new application form must be submitted as your eligibility could change. As paper application forms are no longer available, the application must be completed online.
All post 16 clients will need to reapply for assisted transport every academic year.
The following policy will be used to determine the eligibility for travel assistance for pupils currently attending their designated or nearest school, those starting primary school or transferring from primary to secondary school.
A free bus pass or other transport assistance will be provided for pupils attending their designated or nearest school which is more than three miles from their home address, or two miles if under the age of eight, measured using the shortest walking route, accompanied as necessary by an adult.
Other pupils who will be entitled to a free bus pass or other transport are:
- those for whom transport has been specified as part of a statement for special educational needs unless other alternative transport provision has been made;
- those permanently excluded from their previous school and obliged to travel over three miles to their alternative school;
- those who have moved during the latter half of Year 10 and 11 having moved house within Telford and Wrekin and are remaining at their designated or nearest school prior to the change of address which is over three miles from their new address;
- children unable to walk in safety to school because of the nature of the route as determined by the local authority;
- children who are attending their designated or nearest school who have disabled parents / carers where the route requires a parent/carer to accompany the child for it to be considered safe and where the parents disability prevents them from doing so. Medical evidence from a professional must be provided to show their disability prevents them from accompanying their child along a walking route to school, to be reviewed on a termly basis.
- children entitled to free school meals or whose parents are in receipt of their maximum working tax credit and satisfy the criteria below:
- children aged 11 to 16 from low income families will qualify for travel assistance where they attend one of their three designated or nearest schools which is more than two miles but less than six miles from their home address;
- you may also be entitled to a free bus pass where the qualifying school has been expressed as a preference based on the religion or belief of both parent and child and you live more than two miles but not more than 15 miles from the nearest suitable school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief and attend that school. (Evidence of both parent and child’s religion or belief will be required)
Before making an application please read the following documents: