Housing Benefit

How much am I entitled to?

The amount you will receive will depend on your circumstances. You can use our online calculator to give you an estimate. However, accurate entitlement can only be determined when a full application backed by the relevant documentation is submitted to the Council.

Local Housing Allowance rates

Weekly Monthly
Shared accommodation rate* £68.81 £298.18
1 bedroom rate £87.41 £378.78
2 bedroom rate £109.32 £473.72
3 bedroom rate £129.47 £561.04
4 bedroom rate £170.67 £739.57

Download the April 2016 LHA rates and view previous rates.

*Please note that the Shared Accommodation Rate now applies to most single people under 35 years of age regardless of whether or not they live in self contained accommodation. For exemptions please contact us. It also applies to single people over the age of 35 and living in shared accommodation.

When should I claim?

It is important that you make a claim for benefit as soon as you can. Please do not delay in contacting us to tell us you want to make an application.

Supporting documents

The documents that you give us to support your claim must be original documents. Photocopies and faxes are not acceptable. These documents will be returned to you once we have taken copies:

    National Insurance number National Insurance card, National Insurance confirmation letter, payslip, benefit award letter

    Passport, driving licence, medical card, birth certificate, utility bill for your current address, marriage or adoption certificate, divorce document

    Residency You must have moved into the property you intend to claim for
    Tenancy and rent Tenancy agreement, rent book, licence to occupy, proof of rent payments made/rent receipts

    Last 2 monthly payslips or last five weekly payslips.

    If you have just started work we will accept your Contract of employment and the number of hours you are contracted for to work out an estimate of your pay. You will still have to provide your first 2 months or 5 weeks wage slips when you receive them.

    Benefits and pensions Benefit award/entitlement letter, Pension advice/pay slip, Bank statement showing regular payment
    Bank accounts, other capital and properties Last 3 monthly statements for each account, Post Office/savings book, premium bond certificate, stocks and shares certificates

    Proof of ownership, mortgage, property valuation.

    If you rent out a property you need to provide proof of the rent you receive from your tenant

    Dependant children Name, date of birth, and child benefit proof for each child
    Child care costs Statement from provider, invoice/receipts from provider
    Non dependants Name, date of birth, National Insurance number and income details
    Housing benefit payments

    Your bank sort-code, account number and name on account.

    For payments to your landlord - your landlord’s bank sort-code, account number and name on account. *Payment can only be made to landlords where the claimant satisfies certain criteria.

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility >
  3. How do I apply? >
  4. Contact >

How do you rate this page?