Bowring Park was developed on land donated in 1910 by Ann Bowring on the South-western outskirts of Wellington. She was the widow of John Crump Bowring an entrepreneur who became wealthy through importing fish from Grimsby via the railway system. John Crump Bowring was a popular benefactor in Wellington having provided the gates to All Saint’s Church in 1898 to mark Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. Anne Bowring also bequeathed funds for a cottage hospital in Haygate Road which was built in memory of JC Bowring. During the 1930s the Park was extended and tennis courts were added, then extended again in the 1950s with a bowling green also added to the Parks facilities.
Now the Park has further extended and covers an area of 4.28 hectares which includes a wide range of facilities and anemtieis; it is a popular desintation used by the public.
Facilities and features
- Play area for 3 - 14 year olds.
- 4 floodlit all weather tennis courts.
- Grass tennis courts.
- Floral displays.
- Cricket pitch with grass and artifical wickets.
- 2 football pitches.
- 2 bowling greens.
- Outdoor gym.
- Changing rooms.
- Cafe/kiosk providing food and beverages.
- Car parking.
- There is a small car park located at Bowring Park cafe on Haygate Road.
- There is one disabled bay parking on Bowring Park cafe on Haygate Road.
The location of Bowring Park on Google maps
Last updated: 04/03/2022 10:22