Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Council Tax refund

You may be due a refund if you have overpaid your Council Tax, this could be due to one of the following reasons: 

  • you have moved address
  • you have been awarded a discount or an exemption
  • the Valuation Office have reduced the band of your property.

You will first need to tell us about your change of address or about the change in your circumstances.

Visit our My Council Tax Portal to tell us about your changes

Before requesting a refund please ensure you read the following:

If you paid your Council Tax by Direct Debit and have moved out of the Telford and Wrekin area or if you are no longer liable for Council Tax, any credit on your account will be automatically refunded to the bank account from which you paid your bill. 

If you do not pay by Direct Debit and your refund is over £1000, bank verification will be required to process your refund. When requesting a refund, please upload a copy of your bank statement to show your name, address, sort code and bank account number (your transactions can be blanked out). Failure to upload bank verification will delay processing of your refund.

If you have moved from one property to another within Telford and Wrekin and remain responsible for the Council Tax charge, any credit will be transferred to the new Council Tax account (if there is a balance). A revised Council Tax bill detailing new instalments will then be sent to you.

Refunds of Council Tax are usually paid directly into the bank account of the person(s) whose name is on the Council Tax bill. Please wait for your revised Council Tax bill before submitting a refund request.

Complete our online form to request a Council Tax refund

Last updated: 17/04/2024 11:36

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact