Online payment and Automated Telephone Payment (ATP) services - planned maintenance

Our online payments and ATP services will be unavailable from 8am to 4pm on Sunday 14 April 2024, due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Change of address

It's important to tell us that you have changed address so we can make sure your Council Tax charge is correct.

Unless you are moving into a new build property, a house of multiple occupation or a care home the easiest way to update your Council Tax address is by using our online service (My Council Tax).

There is no requirement to register to use the service and we aim to issue your Council Tax bill within 7 working days, allowing you to plan your finances.

Our online service is also available to landlords who wish to report changes to their properties.

Tell us about a change to your address

If you're moving abroad you can still use our online service to tell us. Where possible we will use your email address to send you your bill. When entering your new address on the online service please select the option to "enter your address manually".

Under normal circumstances there is no discount or exemption available for an empty property so the full charge will be payable . However under certain circumstances your property may qualify for an empty property exemption.

If the property remains empty for over two years, you may be charged an extra 100% Council Tax on top of the full Council Tax for the property. View more information on Council Tax premiums.

There are several ways to pay your Council Tax and you are responsible for paying on time.

Unless you indicate that you wish to pay by Direct Debit when you register for Council Tax it is assumed that you will be paying in 10 monthly instalments by your chosen method of payment. View details of other ways you can pay your Council Tax.

Please register for Council Tax or tell us about your change of address in the first instance.

Once you have completed and submitted your registration form to us, check to see if you are entitled to money off your bill. You will then need to complete the relevant form for your circumstances.

If you think the bill is wrong in any way you should contact us immediately. Unless you have made other arrangements with the Council, you must continue to pay the amounts set out on your bill until the revised bill is issued.

That depends in which Council Tax band your property falls in. View more information about Council Tax banding.

It is important that you make your Council Tax payments. If you are having difficulties making payments please contact us as soon as possible to let us know as we may be able to help you.

If you do not to pay your Council Tax you could be liable for Court Costs. View more information about the recovery of Council Tax.

Last updated: 10/07/2023 13:33

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact