Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Concessionary travel

The Telford and Wrekin Concessionary Travel Scheme offers a number of travel opportunities to residents who are age-eligible, or people with disabilities who qualify under certain criteria.

The scheme includes the new English Concessionary Travel Pass, which allows free travel on local bus services throughout England between 9.30am and 11pm on Mondays to Fridays, and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Please note: Local bus services do not include booked excursions or long-distance coach travel, such as that provided by National Express. Neither does it cover rail-replacement journeys.

Bus pass – age-related

Once you have reached State Pension age, you can apply online for your age-related bus pass, you will need to upload a suitable photograph:

Apply online for a concessionary bus pass

Alternatively, if you are unable to complete our online application form, you can either:

Important information

  • This process will use Experian to authenticate your age and address but does not form part of a credit check.
  • So we can process your application, please provide a suitable photograph, proof of address and a form of ID (passport, birth certificate or driving licence).

Renewals of age-related bus passes

Age-related bus pass renewals are now processed automatically and will be sent directly to your home within 60 days of your current bus pass expiry date.

Bus pass – disability-related

View our eligibility page to check your eligibility for a disability-related bus pass

Please note: We cannot process disability-related applications through our online application form.

To apply, you will need to either download the application form or attend one of our council-run libraries to arrange for one to be printed and then complete it.

The form will need to be completed, together with a suitable photograph and documentation proving your address, age and disability. Similarly, if a photograph cannot be provided, we can offer to take a suitable one at any of our First Point libraries at Southwater, Wellington, Newport or Madeley. Please ask the library staff there for details.

Once all of your documentation has been checked, it will be forwarded to the Concessionary Travel team for processing.

Renewals for disabled bus pass holders

Renewal applications for disabled holders will be issued with a letter to request re-application at least between 6 to 8 weeks before their current pass's expiry date.

What if I need a carer to travel with me?

If you are unable to travel without assistance, you are entitled to a special travel pass called +C that entitles a companion to travel with you on production of entitlement or an underlying entitlement to a carer's allowance. The carer does not need to be the same one every time.

Travel for your companion will be restricted to journeys that start within the Telford and Wrekin area, and the usual time restrictions will apply.

Lost, damaged or stolen bus passes

If you wish to replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass, please call the Concessionary Travel team on 01952 383867. There is a £10 charge to cover the costs of replacing a bus pass. Stolen cards will be replaced free of charge on production of a valid police crime reference number.

Other concessions available

If you choose not to take up an English Concessionary Travel Pass and are of State Pension age, disabled or mobility-impaired, you may still choose one of the following concessions:

Visit the GOV.UK website to check you State Pension age

  • A Disabled Persons Railcard offers up to one-third discount off most national rail travel for £20 for a year or £54 for three years.

Visit the Disabled Persons Railcard website to apply for a one-third discount

  • Dial-a-Ride offers a door-to-door service for residents who cannot access conventional public transport due to mobility problems.

View our Dial-a-Ride page for residents who cannot access conventional public transport due to mobility problems

Last updated: 12/07/2023 14:34

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply
  4. Contact