The Telford and Wrekin Concessionary Travel Scheme offers a number of travel opportunities to residents who are age-eligible, or people with disabilities who qualify under certain criteria.
The scheme includes the new English Concessionary Travel Pass, which allows free travel on local bus services throughout England between 9.30am and 11pm on Mondays to Fridays, and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Please note: Local bus services do not include booked excursions or long-distance coach travel, such as that provided by National Express. Neither does it cover rail-replacement journeys.
Bus pass – age-related
Once you have reached State Pension age, you can apply online for your age-related bus pass, you will need to upload a suitable photograph:
Alternatively, if you are unable to complete our online application form, you can either:
- download a printable version of the concessionary bus pass application form
- or attend one of our council-run libraries, to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed:
- view contact details for Madeley library to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed
- view contact details for Newport library to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed
- view contact details for Oakengates library to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed
- view contact details for Southwater library to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed
- view contact details for Wellington library to arrange for a concessionary bus pass application form to be printed.
- This process will use Experian to authenticate your age and address but does not form part of a credit check.
- So we can process your application, please provide a suitable photograph, proof of address and a form of ID (passport, birth certificate or driving licence).
Renewals of age-related bus passes
Age-related bus pass renewals are now processed automatically and will be sent directly to your home within 60 days of your current bus pass expiry date.
Bus pass – disability-related
Please note: We cannot process disability-related applications through our online application form.
To apply, you will need to either download the application form or attend one of our council-run libraries to arrange for one to be printed and then complete it.
The form will need to be completed, together with a suitable photograph and documentation proving your address, age and disability. Similarly, if a photograph cannot be provided, we are unfortunately not able to take one for you at the library.
Once all of your documentation has been checked, it will be forwarded to the Concessionary Travel team for processing.
Renewals for disabled bus pass holders
Renewal applications for disabled holders will be issued with a letter to request re-application at least between 6 to 8 weeks before their current pass's expiry date.
What if I need a carer to travel with me?
If you are unable to travel without assistance, you are entitled to a special travel pass called +C that entitles a companion to travel with you on production of entitlement or an underlying entitlement to a carer's allowance. The carer does not need to be the same one every time.
Travel for your companion will be restricted to journeys that start within the Telford and Wrekin area, and the usual time restrictions will apply.
Lost, damaged or stolen bus passes
If you wish to replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass, please call the Concessionary Travel team on 01952 383867 and we can discuss your options.
Other concessions available
If you choose not to take up an English Concessionary Travel Pass and are of State Pension age, disabled or mobility-impaired, you may still choose one of the following concessions:
- A Disabled Persons Railcard offers up to one-third discount off most national rail travel for £20 for a year or £54 for three years.
- Dial-a-Ride offers a door-to-door service for residents who cannot access conventional public transport due to mobility problems.
Last updated: 17/11/2022 08:59