Here in Public Protection we recognise that small and medium sized enterprises have limited resources to understand and ensure they comply with requirements across the wide range of regulations which apply to them.
They are also less likely to be connected to other sources of help and education, such as trade associations and insurance companies.
Lack of knowledge, understanding and experience in any businesses increases the risk of non-compliance and unbudgeted cost.
Regulatory experts from Public Protection are a dependable source of authoritative advice, information and guidance and can support local businesses to:
- identify and anticipate issues that can impact on a business
- obtain knowledge and support of how to remedy problems
- access the right level of support
- be confident they are meeting their regulatory obligations
- ensure regulatory compliance in a way that is affordable and proportionate to potential risks in the business.
We can offer the following business advice:
- View information about Licence Check and Send
Take the headache out of your application. Ensure it is valid and completed correctly. Get it right first time!
- View information about Gain and Retain
Does your food business want a competitive edge? Enhance your chances of receiving a 5 Food Hygiene Rating!
- Visit the Trading Standards Accredited website
Want to promote your business? Do you run a fair and reliable business? Willing to sign up to our Code of Practice? – Join our Scheme.
- View information about Health and Safety
Need a training provider who is professional and competent? The look no further and come to us for all your training needs. Download the health and safety calendar of events.
- View information about Primary Authority
Primary Authority is a national scheme that allows a business to form a partnership with a single local authority and this partnership, once it has been nominated by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (known as Regulatory Delivery), has a statutory basis that other enforcing bodies must observe.
- Bespoke business advice
The Public Protection team can provide advice on the full range of environmental health, trading standards* and licensing requirements. Our specialist officers will provide bespoke advice tailored to your specific needs for a 'cost recovery' fee. This might include, but is not limited to, detailed labelling guidance, advice on terms and conditions, training, audits or help with new or complex legislation. This type of business advice, delivered on a ‘pay-as-you go’ basis, is suitable for businesses who will use our advice service less frequently. The cost for any bespoke advice is charged at £75 per hour. Interested? - Complete our online business enquiry form.
*Please note: that Trading Standards only offers bespoke advice on regulatory matters and not on contractual matters between you and your customers. Join our Trading Standards Accredited Scheme and once accepted you will be eligible for up to 2 hours free advice. Visit the Trading Standards Accredited website.
How to register
You can access general information and guidance for free on our website, but for more individual support you can register with us to access:
- individual consultations – guiding your business through the minefields and here to assist businesses in the borough
- advisory site meeting for detailed support (chargeable at our hourly rate)
- authoritative guidance.
How to contact us
If you would like further information please complete the online business enquiry form:
Last updated: 08/01/2024 12:21