Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Apply to become a Private Hire Operator

What we will do with your Personal Information

Telford & Wrekin Council’s Licensing Service is collecting your personal information for the purpose of meeting the statutory requirements of the the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976. Telford & Wrekin Council will not share any of your personal data collected with external organisations unless required to do so by law when your data may be shared with other regulating bodies. However, there may be occasions where we request further information from key third party organisations such as other regulating bodies.

Right to Work in the UK

If you were an EEA citizen when you were first granted your licence by Telford & Wreking Council, you now require immigation status in the UK in the same way as other foreign nationals. If you have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) since 1 July 2021, you have your right to work protected while your application for EUSS is determined. You will need to provide a Certificate of Application (CoA) with your renewal application for a Dual Driver Licence. Telford & Wrekin Council will verify this certificate with the Home Office Status Verification, Enquiries and Checking Service (SVEC).

If you have a time limited Right to Work permit, your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence renewal application, this could include Telford & Wrekin Council checking your immigration status with the Home Office. We may otherwise share information with the Home Office. You must either share your immigration status using the Home Office online checking service ‘prove your right to work to an employer’ if your status is compatible with the service, or provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check. Where an online check has been carried out, the ‘profile’ page confirming your right to work will be copied and retained by the licensing authority. Where a manual check is carried out, and you have provided a document(s) set out at the GOV.UK website to view list of documents relating to the right to work checklist you must provide the original document(s). The document(s) will be copied, and the copy retained by the licensing authority. The original document will be returned to you. 

HM Revenue and Customs

From 4 April 2022, the rules are changing if you’re applying for a licence for a:

  • private hire operator licence.

You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:

  • never held a licence of the same type before
  • had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application.

Upon application for your new licence, you will need to complete a declaration confirming that you are aware of your tax responsibilities.

If you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you’re:

  • renewing a licence
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority.

You will need to provide Telford & Wrekin Council with your Tax Check Code when renewing your licence. The Licensing Service must then use your tax check code to confirm that the tax check has taken place before they can grant or refuse your application.

Visit the GOV.UK website to complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence.

Valid application

Your application for a licence will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced. If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it, together with your badge, to Telford & Wrekin Council. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

View our privacy notice for further details on the Council's privacy arrangements.

Stage 1 - complete application form and pay the licence fee

Complete our online application form for a licence to operate private hire vehicles

Applicants for a new licence must submit the following documentatiion with their completed application form:

  • valid public liability insurance certificate for a minimum of £5000000
  • Basic Disclosure Certificate(s) (no older than one month from date of issue) (or DBS Enhanced Certificate/update service reference number if you are an existing licensed driver)
  • proof(s)of a Right to Work in the UK 
  • policy on employing ex-offenders
  • complaints procedure (private hire operator condition number 10)
  • artwork for Company Logo
  • specification of the proposed computerised booking and dispatching system which shows that it complies with the requirements of condition 6.6 of the Council’s Private Hire Operator Conditions 
  • a template register of all staff that take bookings or dispatch vehicles (completed register if booking or dispatch staff are already employed).

Please pay the licence fee by debit/credit card online by visiting the Council's eStore payment system or by telephoning 01952 381818.

Number of Vehicles to be Operated Licence Fee
1 - 5 vehicles £655
6 - 20 vehicles £860
21- 50 vehicles £1000
50+ vehicles £1170

Stage 2 - completion of the process and issue of licence

Once stage one has been satisfactorily completed, contact the Licensing Service by telephoning 01952 381818 or by email to licensing@telford.gov.uk to make an appointment to collect and sign for your operator licence.

Last updated: 28/03/2024 13:52

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I apply?
  3. Contact