Here are some useful tips on how to manage your commercial waste.
- Do use a registered waste carrier, broker or disposer or use a licensed waste transfer station.
- Do ask for your waste collectors' waste carriers number.
- Do ask where your waste is being taken and check if the place exists.
- Do ask what is going to happen to your waste - is it being landfilled or reprocessed?
- Do remember to sign a consignment note when your waste is first collected and retain a copy for at least 2 years, a consignment note can last for 2 years for a regular collection of the same type of waste.
- Do separate and recycle your waste.
- Do search for licensed companies who will collect and recycle or reuse your waste.
- Do think if a quoted price sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
- Don't use a waste management company before you carry out your Duty of Care checks on them.
- Don't take your business waste to any of the Community Recycling Centres in Telford, these are for household waste only.
- Don't put hazardous waste in a normal rubbish bin.
- Make sure hazardous waste is dealt with by someone with a specialist licence.
- Don't fly tip your own or anybody else's waste. This is a criminal offence and you could face a fine of up to £50,000 and/or 12 months in prison.
Last updated: 16/05/2022 08:54