Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Scrap metal collectors

Scrap Metal Collectors who collect kerb side and from houses must be licensed by law.

The collector is required by law to keep a copy of his licence in his vehicle and this must be able to be seen from the outside of the vehicle. If in doubt, check the windscreen of the vehicle. Telford & Wrekin Council issue red square badges to dealers who are licensed to collect in the Borough of Telford.

The Collector is now also required to keep records of any scrap delivered to a scrap yard or any scrap they collect from people’s houses, as well as details of the customer.

In order to comply with the new laws, the dealer must verify your name and address if he is collecting scrap from you by asking for:

  • a valid UK/EEA passport or
  • a GB/Northern Ireland photo driving licence or
  • a UK biometric immigration document
  • and a bank/building society statement or
  • a credit/debit card statement or
  • a council tax letter/statement or
  • a utility bill.

A copy of these documents must be made by the dealer and details of the payment for the scrap must also be kept.

Any dealer who is not licensed or who takes cash is committing a criminal offence and can be prosecuted.

If in doubt, please contact our Licensing team.

Last updated: 13/04/2022 09:47

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact