Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Council Tax banding

You can challenge your Council Tax band if there has been a change that affects the property or you think your band is wrong. For properties in England and Wales, you must submit your challenge to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). 

For further details visit the GOV.UK website

Before you contact the Valuation Office Agency to query your Council Tax band, please note that:

  • a band review can place your property in a lower or higher band, or leave it unchanged
  • band A is the lowest Council Tax band - if your home is already in band A, it can't be reduced further.

If you challenge your Council Tax band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

What if your case hasn't been resolved?

If you're still unhappy with your Council Tax band after contacting the Valuation Office Agency, you might be able to formally challenge the band. Challenges should be made within 6 months of:

  • a change in the band of a property; or
  • becoming the new council tax payer for the property; or
  • where disabled adaptations have been made.

Making an appeal/challenge does not entitle you to withhold payment. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax, so you should keep paying whilst you are appealing.

Last updated: 25/04/2024 09:12

  1. Introduction
  2. Challenge your property banding
  3. Contact