Mineshafts, adits and shallow mining

Report a problem with a coal mine to the Coal Authority

Problems could include:

  • a collapsed mine or mine entrance
  • gas or water emissions from an abandoned mine
  • an entrance to an abandoned mine that’s not sealed
  • a ground collapse, e.g. a hole in the ground (‘sinkhole’).

The Coal Authority

Telephone: 01623 646333 (open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Visit the GOV.UK website to report a coal mine hazard 

Last updated: 04/02/2021 13:15

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I report?
  3. Contact