The following are key documents and organisations that can provide more information and guidance on the conservation of historic places and sites.
Legal and planning
- The Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990
- National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) Chapter 16 - Conservation and Enhancing the Historic Environment
- Planning Policy Guidance 12 - Conserving and Enhancing the Historic Environment
- Telford and Wrekin Local Plan 2011 - 2031
Historic England is the government’s statutory adviser and consultee on all aspects of the historic environment and its heritage assets. There is a wealth of information and guidance available on their website. Key documents are:
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 1 - The Historic Environment in Local Plans
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 2 - Managing Significance in Decision Taking
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 3 - The Setting of Heritage Assets
- HEAN 2 - Making Changes to Heritage Assets
- Conservation Principles, Policies and Guidance
- Practical Advice on Saving Energy in Older Homes.
The following groups have interests in particular ages or types of heritage asset, publish useful guidance on specific aspects of architectural history and conservation repair and some run training courses:
- The Ancient Monuments Society
- The Council for British Archaeology
- The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings
- Georgian Group
- The Victorian Society
- The 20th Century Society
- The Churches Trust
- The Gardens Trust.
Telford & Wrekin Council guidance
Last updated: 07/09/2018 13:12