Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Road markings and signage

Advisory disabled parking bay

If you’re a Blue Badge holder, you can ask us to put white lines for an advisory disabled parking space near your home.

Who can apply?

You can apply for an advisory disabled parking space outside your house if you:

  • have a Blue Badge
  • live at the address where you’re asking for a bay
  • regularly use a vehicle which is kept at the address when you apply
  • struggle to park near your home
  • do not have suitable off-street parking, a drive or garage.

If you’re applying for a space for your carer’s vehicle, they must live at your address.

What is an advisory bay?

Disabled bays are marked in white. They are advisory only and have no legal standing and any driver can park there. While a bay is intended for the person who applies for it, other disabled drivers can use it.

How to apply

View our Report a Problem page if you wish to apply for an advisory disabled bay. There is an administration charge of £42 (including VAT) to apply for the potential installation of these markings.

After you apply

We’ll usually visit the location before making our decision, but you don’t need to be there when we do.

If we approve your application we might not be able to offer you a space right outside your home, but we’ll put it as close as we can.

If your application is successful, it can take up to three months to finish the bay. In some circumstances, it might take longer, depending on your location, the weather and our contractors.

When we may not be able to offer a bay

We will only provide a disabled parking bay in a location where an engineer considers it is safe for a vehicle to be parked. We will never put a disabled parking bay across a pedestrian footpath.

Other reasons why we may not be able to provide a parking bay include:

  • it would cause disruption to traffic
  • the address is on privately owned land, when you’ll need to speak directly with the owner.

Please note: changes to the way we manage traffic could mean that a bay may be moved or removed at any time.

White 'H' Road Markings (access protection markings)

We can provide White 'H' markings across private driveways. There is an administration charge of £42 (including VAT) to apply for the potential installation of these markings.

White 'H' markings are only introduced on the carriageway where the blocking of drives occurs on a regular basis by drivers other than residents, visiting for example a shop, leisure facility, school, etc.

This marking comprises of an elongated "H" marking on the road. Its function is to alert drivers to the fact that there is a private access at that point which must be kept clear.

Before an access protection marking can be undertaken, the property owner must have an approved view dropped kerb and hard standing where their vehicle is parked.

This type of road marking is not enforceable but does serve to highlight that any vehicle parking there is creating an obstruction - which can be interpreted by the police as an offense.

For further help, contact the police by telephoning 101 (please note: this is a non emergency response number).

View our Report a Problem page if you wish to request an 'H' Bar marking.

Last updated: 09/03/2022 12:33

  1. Introduction
  2. Report a problem
  3. Contact