Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Empty properties

If you’re concerned about an empty home let us know (residential properties only please):

To report an empty property, visit the Public Protection and Private Sector Housing Online Services portal

You can also contact us by calling 01952 383838.

We'll need the following information:

The address of the property or location on a map.

The condition of the property

An estimate of how long the property has been empty

The issues or concerns you have regarding the empty property.

It would also help our investigation if you have an idea of who owns the property or some history of the property.

Can I find out who owns an empty property?

We can't tell you who owns a property due to data protection but this information can be obtained from the Land Registry for a small fee.

Are you a developer after a list of empty homes in the area?

Unfortunately, we are unable to distribute a list of empty homes in our area due to data protection. However, most properties which we are dealing with through our interventions including enforced sales and order of sales will become available for sale on the popular “for sale” websites for example Rightmove, Zoopla, Market Place and are often available via auction. 

Is the property you have purchased in a derelict condition?

The Government’s Valuation Office Agency is responsible for deciding if a property should be removed from Council tax listing due to its derelict state. This is the decision of the VOA and not the Council Tax Department. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information and for submitting an application.

Need Help regarding Probate?

View the probate page for more information about probate.

With our adopted Empty Homes Strategy, we aim to bring long-term empty homes back into use. The strategy provides the framework for dealing with the various issues associated with long-term empty homes in the private housing sector and RSL’s .

To make this strategy a success, we need to continue to build on the existing working relationships internal and external with partnerships to raise the profile of the empty homes.

Download the Empty Property Strategy

If you would like to discuss the empty property strategy please contact the Empty Property Officer telephone: 01952 383838.

Download the Empty Property Strategy - update 2023

Telford & Wrekin Council has adopted to use premium rates of Council tax for empty properties:

  • 2 years empty 100% on top of your standard rate
  • 5 years empty 200% on top of your standard rate
  • 10 years empty 300% on top of your standard rate.

Please be aware that the time empty starts from when the property first became empty regardless of a change in ownership the premium rate will apply to new owners therefore before purchasing a property you should check if the empty property you are purchasing is subject to a premium rate. Please contact the Council Tax Section on CouncilTaxEmail@telford.gov.uk.

View information about empty property charges.

Previous exemptions

The following no longer attract an exemption and are subject to 100% of the Council Tax charge:

  • Class A - premises undergoing or requiring structural repair or alteration work
  • Class C - premises that are unoccupied and unfurnished
  • second homes
  • premises that are unoccupied and furnished.

View the Council Tax Exemptions page for more information and all relevant forms.

Farm lodge

Bennetts row

Bennetts row

Last updated: 10/07/2023 13:59

  1. Introduction
  2. Case studies
  3. Contact