Council tax reduction appeals

What to do if you think the decision about your council tax reduction is wrong

If you think the decision we have made is wrong, you can contact us and ask us to look at it again. You must tell us which decision you think is wrong and the reason why. There is no time limit for disputing council tax reduction (formerly council tax support) decisions.

We will then look again at our decision and write to you to tell you whether we have been able to change it. We will explain the reason for our decision. If you still disagree with our decision, you have the right of appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. We will include details of how to appeal to this service in our decision letter.

If you do not receive a response to your initial dispute within two months, you may appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Visit the Valuation Tribunal Service website

Please note if you are disputing a decision relating to council tax benefit (which existed up until 31 March 2013), this will be treated in the same way as a housing benefit decision.

Download and complete our dispute form to make an appeal

What to do if you think the decision about your housing benefit is wrong

View information about appealing a housing benefit decision

Last updated: 08/12/2020 17:23

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact