Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Dual Driver information and application

Please note: that you should have a minimum of three years driving experience on a full UK/EC/EEA licence before you can hold private hire, dual or hackney carriage driver licence with Telford & Wrekin Council. In order to be granted a licence to drive Hackney Carriages or Private Hire Vehicles, Telford & Wrekin Council must be satisfied that you are a fit and proper person. Please download Telford & Wrekin Council's Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy

What we will do with your Personal Information
Telford & Wrekin Council's Licensing Service is collecting your personal information for the purpose of meeting the statutory requirement of determining whether you are fit and proper to hold a licence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

Telford & Wrekin Council will not share any of your personal data collected with external organisations unless required to do so by law when your data may be shared with other regulating bodies. However, there may be occasions where we request further information from key third party organisations such as other regulating bodies and Doctors.

National Register of Refusals, Revocations and Suspensions

This authority uses the National Register of Refusals, Revocations and Suspensions (NR3S). This means that:

  • applications for new hackney carriage/PHV driver licences and for renewals will be checked on the NR3S
  • where an existing licence is revoked, suspended or an application for renewal or a new licence is refused by Telford & Wrekin Council, this will be recorded on the NR3S
  • information placed on the NR3S Register will be retained for up to 11 years
  • any person whose information is placed on the NR3S Register has a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner.

Contact NAFN Data and Intelligence.

For further information on the Council's Data Protection Policy or to contact the Council's Data Protection officer visit the Council's website.

Download the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy

National Fraud Initiative

This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud.

It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

View our privacy notice for further details on the Council's privacy arrangements.

Applicants who have lived outside the UK for three continuous months.

Any applicant who has, spent three continuous months or more living outside the United Kingdom from the age of 18 will have to provide evidence of a criminal record check from the relevant country for that period. Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on criminal records checks for overseas applicants.

EU Driving Licences

If you passed your driving test in an EU Country and you are applying with an EU driving licence or you have swapped your EU driving licence for a UK driving licence but you have not yet held a UK driving licence for 3 years, you will need to submit your driving record for the last 3 years from the country where you passed your driving test. This should be translated and authenticated by the embassy, consulate, or solicitor.

Right to Work in the UK

If you are an EEA citizen you now require immigration status in the UK in the same way as other foreign nationals. If you have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) since 1 July 2021, you have your right to work protected while your application for EUSS is determined. You will need to provide a Certificate of Application (CoA) with your application for a Dual Driver Licence. Telford & Wrekin Council will verify this certificate with the Home Office Status Verification, Enquiries and Checking Service (SVEC).

Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence application, this could include Telford & Wrekin Council checking your immigration status with the Home Office. We may otherwise share information with the Home Office. You must either share your immigration status using the Home Office online checking service ‘prove your right to work to an employer’ if your status is compatible with the service, or provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check. Where an online check has been carried out, the ‘profile’ page confirming your right to work will be copied and retained by the licensing authority. Where a manual check is carried out, and you have provided a document(s) set out at the GOV.UK website to view list of documents relating to the right to work checklist you must provide the original document(s). The document(s) will be copied, and the copy retained by the licensing authority. The original document will be returned to you. 

HM Revenue and Customs

If you’re applying for a licence for a:

  • hackney carriage driver
  • private hire driver.

You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:

  • never held a licence of the same type before
  • had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application.

Upon application for your new licence, you will need to complete a declaration confirming that you are aware of your tax responsibilities.

If you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you’re:

  • renewing a licence
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority.

You will need to provide Telford & Wrekin Council with your Tax Check Code when renewing your licence. The Licensing Service must then use your tax check code to confirm that the tax check has taken place before they can grant or refuse your application.

Visit the GOV.UK website to complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence.

Valid Application

Your application will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced. If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it, together with your badge, to Telford & Wrekin Council. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Application Process

The application process must be completed within three months. If you have not completed all parts of the process within this period, you may be required to repeat either the medical, knowledge test or Disclosure and Barring Service application or your application may be refused.

There are 4 key stages to the application process. It is important to note that a Dual Driver Licence will not be issued until all stages are satisfactorily completed.

Pre-Application Assistance

Do you need help in getting your application right?

If so, the Licensing team can provide you with expert advice to ensure your application is submitted correctly. This can ultimately save you time and could lead to you obtaining your badge much quicker!

Our service will include assisting you with:

  • getting registered with Taxi Plus for Disclosure & Barring Service, DVLA records and right to work checks
  • if applicable, how to obtain your Overseas Criminal Records Check
  • completing tax checks with HMRC
  • booking your Driver Awareness Training and Driving Standards Assessment and how to prepare
  • how to book your Medical Examination
  • providing endorsed photographs
  • referring applicant to the council’s policy and website to complete application form
  • what documents are required when collecting your badge.

Our service will provide you with exclusive time with one of our Officers who will clearly explain to you what is needed.

You will be given an appointment time to come into our offices to go through all the requirements

For a fee of £70 we can take the headache out of the application process. Interested? Then, email us now for more details or to book an appointment. Contact licensing@telford.gov.uk.

Stage 1 - Criminal Record, DVLA and Right to Work Checks and Council Driver Training and Knowledge and Driving Test

Visit the TaxiPlus website to complete your Disclosure and Barring Services, DVLA Driving Record and Right to Work checks.

Please note: you will be required to make an online payment of £72.88 to TaxiPlus. Once you have completed your Disclosure Application, you must sign up to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service by visiting the GOV.UK website. It is a requirement of your conditions of licence to do so.

(As soon as you receive a copy of your Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service you should contact the Licensing Service on 01952 381818 or email a copy to neighbourhood.support@telford.gov.uk).

Please note: Any applicant who has spent three continuous months or more living outside the United Kingdom from the age of 18 will have to provide evidence of a criminal record check from the relevant country for that period. Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on criminal records checks for overseas applicants.

Driver Awareness Training, Knowledge Test and Driving Standards Assessment

Also at this stage, download the the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy to check the Council's Suitability policy. You can book your theory and practical tests. If you are not satisfied that you meet the suitability criteria, you might wish to book your tests later during the application process.

You will need to contact our approved training provider (Green Penny Ltd) to book your Driver Awareness Training and Knowledge Test (KT) (Theory Test) and also to book your Driving Standards Assessment (DSA) (Practical Test).

The cost of the theory test is £60 and the cost of the practical test is £90 (both are inclusive of VAT). Payment by credit/debit card must be made at the time of booking your tests by visiting the Green Penny website. You must take photo ID (driving licence) to your test(s). Failure to do so will result in you not being able to proceed with the test(s).

Download and read the Council's Licence Conditions to prepare for your theory test.The theory test will consist of 2 parts:

  • classroom training on the 'do's' and 'don'ts' of taxi licensing, the Councils licence conditions (download the dual driver licence conditions), disability awareness, child sexual exploitation and health and safety advice for all prospective taxi drivers
  • written test consisting of 35 questions.

Download the Driving Standard Assessment Information Pack to help you prepare for your practical test. The practical test will involve the following:

  • a driving assessment taking no longer than one hour including a driver briefing, and vehicle check
  • being able to read a number plate from 20 metres
  • you will be required to answer two vehicle safety check questions
  • being able to drive safely whilst using a satnav to reach a given destination
  • drivers must achieve no more than six faults. Any dangerous fault will result in an automatic failure.

Fault definitions:

  • minor fault - any driving fault that, on it's own, would not affect the safety or progress of any other road user
  • serious fault - if this is persistent and may, by it's persistence, affect the safety or progress of other road users
  • dangerous fault - any driving fault that would potentially affect the safety or progress of any other road user.

A decision on the practical test will be given to the applicant at the end of the assessment.

If you fail to pass the Knowledge Test or the Driving Standards Assessment on 3 occasions, you will not be able to proceed with your application and a period of three months must pass before you can apply again.

Stage 2 - Complete the Council's Application form for a Dual Driver Licence and pay the Licence Fee

Once you have completed the TaxiPlus Online Application, you will be given a Reference Number. As soon as you have that number you will need to complete the Telford & Wrekin Council online application form. You will need to upload a recent passport size photograph of yourself, endorsed to passport standards. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about countersigning passport applications and photosPlease note: incomplete application forms will not be accepted. These will be returned to you.

Complete our online form to apply for a taxi driver licence

You will need to pay the fee of £175.50. Visit our eStore payment system to make a payment online, or by debit/credit card by telephoning 01952 381818.

Stage 3 - Book a medical test

Once your application has been accepted, you will need to complete a Group 2 medical.

You may use any Medical Practice you choose provided that the doctor has sight of a summary of your medical records (you will need to obtain these from your registered medical practice and take them with you to your medical appointment). We will send your council medical forms for the doctor to complete directly to the medical practice specified on your application form within two working days of receiving your completed application form.

Medical payments are your responsibility. The medical standard you are required to pass is DVLA Group 2 Standards. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information on the DVLA Group 2 Standards. If we are unable to grant you a licence, any payments you have already made for your medical will be non-refundable.

Stage 4 - Issuing of the Licence

After satisfactorily completing Stages 1 to 3 above, your application is complete and the Licensing Service will inform you of the Council's decision to either grant or refuse your application.

An appointment will then be made for you to collect your badge and sign for your licence (at the Council's offices). At which time you will need to bring the following documentation:

  • Right to Work (UK/EEC Passport or UK Birth Certificate or Bio-Metric Permit).

The Licence will normally be issued for a period of 3 years, unless you have a time limited Right to Work Permit or time limited DVLA driving licence in which case your licence will be issued up to the expiry date of your permit/driving licence.

Should you require assistance at any time during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01952 381818 or email neighbourhood.support@telford.gov.uk.

Last updated: 10/06/2024 15:06

  1. Application for a Dual Driver Licence
  2. Contact