What is public health?
The purpose of the public health team is help residents across Telford and Wrekin is to live longer, healthier and more fulfilling lives by focusing on preventing ill health and early deaths. By sharing advice and support we can help you and your family make healthier lifestyle choices.
All local authorities have a duty to improve the health of the population they serve. To help with this we use data and information from a range of sources, including hospital data and data collected at the registration of a birth or death, to understand more about the nature and causes of disease and ill-health in the area.
The three domains of public health are:
- health improvement - including contributing to increased life expectancy and healthier lifestyles as well as reducing inequalities in health and addressing the wider social determinants of health. View more information on 'Health checks'
- health protection - including protection from infectious diseases, environmental hazards and emergency preparedness
- health services - including assisting those who commission health care to understand the health needs of the local population, and plan services to meet those needs, as well as evaluating how effective services are in meeting needs.
- Public health annual reports.
- Statistics about the borough, wards and parishes.
- Health and Wellbeing Board (HWB) - minutes and agendas.
Last updated: 9.24am on Wednesday 29 May 2019