Interim review of polling districts, polling places and polling stations 2022
Telford and Wrekin Council has conducted an interim review of the boroughs polling districts, polling places and polling stations.
The aim of the review was to ensure that:
- electors in the affected constituency have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances.
- as far as is reasonable and practicable, the polling places are accessible to all electors, and when considering the designation of a polling place, must have regard to accessibility needs of disabled person.
Why was this Interim Review needed?
The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) issued their recommendations for Telford and Wrekin's new electoral arrangements.
In preparation for the new ward boundaries coming into effect it has been necessary to undertake an interim review of the boroughs polling districts, polling places and polling stations.
The new electoral arrangements / electoral wards will come into effect for the May 2023 Local Elections.
A revised electoral register was published on 1 February 2023 to reflect the new boundaries.
How was the review conducted?
The Returning Officer made polling district, polling place and polling station recommendations for all wards across Telford and Wrekin.
The council welcomed feedback in response to the initial reccomendations, encouraging representations from groups that have expertise in relation to access to premises for people with different forms of disability.
The review has been completed and a list of polling stations has been approved by the council’s Boundary Review Committee on 25 January 2023.
Terms used in the review
- Polling district - a geographical subdivision of an electoral area, for example a District/Parish Ward within which a polling place is designated.
- Polling place - an area or building in which polling stations are located, and which can be as wide as a complete polling district.
- Polling station - the actual area in which voting takes place.
Last updated: 27/02/2023 12:02