Changes coming to Civil Parking Enforcement

Please don’t make us give you a parking ticket. From 31 January 2020 we will be able to issue fines. Please park legally and considerately.

Changes coming to Civil Parking Enforcement

What is Council Tax Support?

In April 2013, the Government abolished the national Council Tax Benefit scheme and asked each Council to replace it with a local scheme called Council Tax Support.

Council Tax Support is a local scheme designed to help people on low incomes pay their Council Tax. Pensioner claims for Council Tax Support are determined according to a national scheme, which is set by the Government.

How much support you receive will depend on:

  • the income and savings of the people living in your household
  • the amount of Council Tax you have to pay
  • whether you are of working age or pensionable age (check your pensionable age)
  • whether you are classed within a protected group.

The Council Tax Support scheme in Telford and Wrekin for working age customers who are not classed within a protected group is broadly based on the former Council Tax Benefit scheme, but with the following important changes:

  • anyone with savings or capital of more than £6,000 will not be entitled to claim support
  • any entitlement is reduced by 25%, so everyone will have to pay at least something towards their Council Tax bill
  • anyone who is entitled to less than £2.50 per week in Council Tax Support will not receive any assistance
  • customers who have a good reason for failing to apply for help immediately will be entitled to apply to have their award for Council Tax Support backdated for a maximum of one month
  • second Adult Rebate does not exist under the scheme
  • single people with an annual income from state benefits of £13,400 or more will not receive any assistance
  • couples (with or without children) and lone parents with children with an annual income from state benefits of £20,000 or more will not receive any assistance
  • a minimum weekly income equivalent to the rate of 30 hours at the National Minimum Wage (or the National Living Wage for those aged 25 or over) will be applied for claimants and/or partners who have been self-employed for more than 12 months and are earning less than this amount.

View our Council Tax Support Policy for 2019/20 and previous policy documents.

Last updated: 12.03pm on Monday 11 November 2019

  1. Introduction
  2. Protected groups
  3. Contact