Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Partly occupied property relief

A ratepayer is liable for the full non-domestic rate whether a property is wholly occupied or only partly occupied. There may be occasions where a property is only partly occupied for a short period of time. This may be short term difficulties due to the business moving in or relocating to a new property. In these instances Telford & Wrekin Council has the discretion to award relief in respect of any unoccupied part under section 44a of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

We will only consider applications for this relief if the unoccupied areas will be vacant for a temporary period only (up to 6 months).

If the partial occupation is going to last longer than this, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) may be able to value the unoccupied area separately. Visit the GOV.UK website for further information about business rates.

To apply for this relief you must contact us as soon as the partial occupancy begins, an inspection of the premises is usually made by the Council to confirm the circumstances. You may also be required to provide a plan of the premises that clearly shows the separate occupied and unoccupied areas.

You must continue to pay your bill whilst the application is being considered. 

Last updated: 10/06/2024 11:26

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact