Certain types of properties in a rural settlement with a population below 3,000 may be entitled to relief.
An eligible ratepayer will be entitled to relief at 100% of the full charge.
Under the scheme, the following businesses in designated rural settlements are entitled to 100% mandatory rate relief:
- the only food shop, general store or post office with a rateable value of less than £8,500
- the only public house or petrol station with a rateable value of up to £12,500
- the property must be occupied.
It is possible for both a general store and a Post Office in the same rural area to qualify for mandatory rate relief, if they both meet the conditions.
To qualify for mandatory relief, a general store must mainly sell both food and general household goods. Only part of the property need be used as a general store. For example, the business of a general store and another business could be carried on side-by-side in one premises. If there are two general stores in the same rural area, neither will qualify for mandatory relief, although, if either functions as a Post Office, relief for this can be claimed separately.
The council can also give discretionary relief of up to 100% for a property in a rural area with a rateable value of £16,500.00 or less, if we are satisfied that:
- the property is used for purposes which are of benefit to the local community and
- it would be reasonable for the council to award relief, having regard to the interest of the Council Tax payers in the district.
For the financial year 2019/20 the following areas have been designated as rural settlements for the purpose of considering applications for rural rate relief:
- Chetwynd Parish
- Chetwynd Aston and Woodcote Parish
- Church Aston Parish
- Edgmond Parish
- Ercall Magna Parish
- Eyton Upon the Wealds Moors Parish
- Kynnersley Parish
- Lilleshall Parish
- Little Wenlock Parish
- Preston Upon the Weald Moor Parish
- Rodington Parish
- Tibberton and Cherrington Parish
- Waters Upton Parish.
Last updated: 11.29am on Thursday 14 March 2019