If you, or someone you care for, are having difficulties preparing and cooking your own meals there are various options you could choose to make mealtimes easier:
- supermarket shopping
- frozen meal delivery services
- hot meal delivery services
- eating in the community
- equipment to help you prepare meals independently
- food banks.
Many supermarkets offer online shopping and home delivery to your door or even your fridge. Other stores have a home delivery service, which allows you to go to the shop to choose what you want without having to carry it to your car or home.
Examples of supermarkets who offer home delivery:
- Visit the Iceland website (you can shop online or shop in store and request home delivery – free same day delivery when you spend £25 or more)
- Visit the Morrisons website
- Visit the Tesco website (Tesco provide the option of having a delivery to your door or to your fridge)
- Visit the Asda website
- Visit the Waitrose website
- Visit the Marks and Spencer website (order online but Marks and Spencers do require you to collect).
Frozen meal delivery services
Delicious frozen meals and desserts can also be delivered straight into your freezer.
Hot meal delivery services
Eating in the community
There are a range of community options which provide a chance to socialise and meet friends old and new to meet together, to enjoy each other’s company and good food. There are groups, clubs as well as housing schemes, community centres and local cafes that run meals services and can provide inexpensive freshly cooked hot or cold meals. Some also offer a delivery service for a small charge.
Equipment to help you prepare meals independently
If you have problems preparing your meals it may be worthwhile looking at equipment that will help you around the kitchen.
An example is a perching stool if you struggle to stand for long periods of time while preparing food and drinks, another is the one cup kettle which allows you to make a hot drink without the risk of burning yourself if you struggle to grip or lift a kettle.
- View information about assistive technology to find out how technology and gadgets help you to live independently in your own home.
- View information about occupational therapy to find out information on getting an assessment, equipment and adaptations.
You can find places to request food parcels in the event of a crisis, where you are unable to afford to purchase any food.
Last updated: 05/03/2021 13:08