Arts and culture introduction
Telford and Wrekin Virtual School in partnership with Artslink is a programme by the West Midlands Virtual Schools Children in Care Foundation. This is supported by Arts Connect through their Partnership Investment Programme.
Our ambition is to ensure that all care experienced children and young people linked to a Virtual School in the West Midlands are able to access high-quality arts and cultural experiences. This includes both live activities and an extensive online offer to get arts and creativity happening at home.
Our looked after children are encouraged to take part in out of school activities to help build personal and social skills, raise educational achievement and improve life chances. The Virtual School team have a dedicated Arts Ambassador who leads on Arts and Culture activities and events for our children in care. Kerriann Hughes can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to find out more or to make an enquiry on future opportunities.
From September 2021, the Virtual School termly Personal Education Plan will include and Arts and Culture entitlement dedicated section which will be completed by the education provision jointly with the young person. This will help the Virtual School to plan and create acitivities and events based on the young persons interests and experiences.
Telford and Wrekin Virtual School team - Arts and culture activities 2022 - 2023
- Introduction into TV Acting workshop - 7 November 2022.
- Nail Art workshop - 7 December 2022.
- Music workshop with Shropshire Music service - 20 February 2023.
- Cosford School of Photography - to be confirmed.
- SEEDs of Sound Music event - 4 and 5 April 2023.
- Music event with Smashlife - 30 May 2023.
- Dance workshop event with professional dance teacher - 30 May 2023.
- Woodland event with Smashlife - 30 May 2023.
All the above events are shared via schools and social workers to distribute flyers and booking information. All of our events are based on a booking system, if you wish to find out more or would like to book a place on any of the above - please contact the Arts Lead on email@example.com.
Our Student Engagement Programme are also running an exciting programme of events. The dates that these will take place are:
- 20 February 2023 - The Great Telford Bake Off for KS3 and KS4
- 23 February 2023 - Sensory Experience for Year 1 - Year 4
- 11 April 2023
- 30 May 2023
- 27 July 2023
- 31 July 2023
- 24 August 2023.
Details of the events will be shared closer to the time.
Arts Discover Award - Celebration Academic year 2021 - 2022
We are pleased to announce that we now have 23 of our young people in Telford and Wrekin have successfully achieved their Discover Arts Award so far this academic year by accessing Arts and Culture Events that have been organised by Telford and Wrekin Virtual School in partnership with other external agencies.
Arts Award Discover is an introductory award where our young people participated by collecting evidence for their individual portfolios and took part in arts activities which can include a variety of arts and culture areas, including, singing, Guitar, individual graffiti design and African drums, photography, dance and darma to name a few. The young people also successfully researched an artist to look at their work and their history and shared their arts discoveries.
Artslink - Healthy Body and Healthy Mind
Welcome to our bumper buffet of difference dance styles to check out and dance and movement activities to try, all of which will help keep you healthy and fit!
We have a feast of activities for you to explore over the Easter holidays. In between chomping your Easter eggs, watch, rewatch and try out some moves and grooves from some of the leading dance practitioners in the West Midlands.
Available from the 5 April 2021 onwards and is suitable for all ages.
West Midlands Virtual Schools Artslink
Watch filmed-live shows from your living room!
Artslink have collected two of Disney's best loved shows - Frozen and Beauty and the Beast - filmed at the Disney Cruise Line Theatre (yes, on a ship!), and combined them with some extra activities so you can lose yourself in the wonder of Disney - something for the whole household to enjoy together.
- Enjoy performances filmed live.
- Watch behind-the-scenes clips to see how the show were put together.
- Sing along with some of your favourite songs.
- Get crafting using ideas from the shows.
It is all free of charge, no booking is required.
The Hive - Offer
The Hive provides a safe path to personal and community growth. Their projects transform lives through inspiring, inclusive, creative experiences in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
Their work has a wellbeing focus and aims to support the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged people through arts and culture. Specifically, the focus is on working with children, young people and young adults, however this is not exclusive and their charity responds to the needs of our local communities and implements targeted work with older people, as well as inter-generational projects.
For more information about any of the projects please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artslink - Connect and Create
Artslink is supported by all 14 West Midlands Virtual Schools, and aims to ensure that all care experienced children and young people in the region have the opportunity to get involved in arts and culture and develop as learners, as people and as artists. They offer:
- events run by clusters of Virtual Schools, such as Give It A Go days (trying new artforms and activities out) and professional artists supporting other Virtual School events such as award ceremonies
- regional activities, such as Look Inside days (e.g. BBC, music studio) and massed performing groups, such as choirs, for showcase events
- a website packed with creative challenges, films, links and career guidance specially commissioned for care experienced young people, and showcasing their own work, as well as information about local opportunities.
Download the Connect and Create flyer for arts and cultural activities to do at homeVisit the Artslink Connect and Create website to join our mailing list to receive updates on the latest arts and culture opportunities for care experience children and young people
Arts Award Discover – online with Artslink
Creating a universal entitlement to arts and culture for all children and young people linked to a Virtual School in the West Midlands
Artslink and the West Midlands Virtual Schools are delighted to offer this opportunity:
Are you interested in the arts and aged 25 years or under? You could complete an Arts Award, certified by Trinity College, London. If you are interested let us know – email@example.com. Its fun to do and easy to access.
The Smash Room
The Smash Room is a professional recording studio and rehearsal room available for you to book.
The Smash Room offers access to four rehearsal rooms each fully equipped with:
- 1 x Drum Kit
- 3 x guitar amplifiers (more if required)
- 1 x bass amplifier
- 1 x PA system for vocals.
In addition to the practice rooms they also offer a repair shop where you can get all your amplifiers/PA's and other electrical equipment fixed up by their specialist team and a top quality recording studio for artists who want to record / mix / master their album /ep or songs.
Arts, Culture and craft activites to do at home
Arts and crafts
- Artslink Connect and Create - provides at-home arts and cultural activities specially selected and commissioned for care experienced children and young people
- Primary Playground - Scavenger Hunts and Reading Bingo games for younger years
- Bringing Hogwarts to You - magical treats from the World of Harry Potter
- Physical Education / Music KS1: Dance with the Elements - Dances for each of the four element have been choreographed to different pieces of classical music including JS Bach, Karl Jenkins, Aaron Copland, Johann Strauss, Claude Debussy and John Adams
- Virtual Cyber School - Gain access to over 200 free cyber security challenges and learn from industry experts at the Virtual Cyber School
- Natural History Museum - activities and crafts to do around the home – also teaching resources and a virtual tour.
- The children’s University of Manchester - The Children's University of Manchester has been designed to support KS2 (7-11) teaching and learning both in the classroom and at home with subjects including Science, History, Languages and many more.
- Virtual tour of British Museum, London - Travel through time and discover artefacts from all over the world.
- Mercedes Benz - Virtual Tour of Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart, Germany.
- The Great Fire of London - Stories and games about the great fire of London.
- Science Museum - Games, Apps and activities to do at home.
- Tate Kids - Games, quizzes and crafts to do at home including Jacqueline Wilson’s Magical Tour of Tate Britain.
Arts and Culture Gallery
We have a dedicated gallery page to showcase our children and young peoples arts and culture creations and designs. Please send us your amazing work if you would like it to be added to our webpage to Kerriann Hughes - Arts Lead firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 11/01/2023 10:39