Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Your rights

Helping you to understand your history

We will help you understand your rights and advocate on your behalf, helping you access information about you and providing support if you need to make a complaint.

Children’s Services have to keep written case records of your care history. These records must be kept for 75 years. You can request your records any time after you become 18 years old. You do not have to read through the information on your own. It can be upsetting or confusing to do this alone and we want to help you understand what is in your file and why.

Your PA can support you or you can bring a friend. We would strongly suggest that you do not do this on your own. You need to request to see your records in writing. Children’s Services must then respond to you in writing giving the timescale. It must happen within 40 days.

You may find that some of the information is not available for you to read. This is because some of the information in your records may identify other people known as third parties. Additionally, if there is information that may seriously harm your physical or mental health it may not be given to you, but we will explain why. We always work with social workers and personal advisers to record information about you in your case file in a positive way.

Independent support

You have a right to support from an independent advocate if you want to challenge decisions about the support we give you.

Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. They are separate from children’s services and are available to care experienced young people up to the age of 25.

You can contact an Independent Advocate either through your PA or by yourself by calling 01952 385112 / 01952 385102.

Last updated: 24/05/2023 16:15