If you think your Council Tax banding may be wrong, you can contact the Valuation Office Agency to discuss your reasons either by phone or in person. Most queries about Council Tax bands can be resolved quickly and easily this way.
If your case can't be resolved immediately, the Valuation Office Agency may carry out a more detailed review of your band.
Before you contact the Valuation Office Agency to query your Council Tax band, please note that:
- a band review can place your property in a lower or higher band, or leave it unchanged
- band A is the lowest Council Tax band - if your home is already in band A, it can't be reduced further
What if your case hasn't been resolved?
If you’re still unhappy with your Council Tax band after contacting the Valuation Office Agency, you might be able to formally challenge the band. Challenges should be made within 6 months of:
- a change in the band of a property; or
- becoming the new council tax payer for the property; or
- where disabled adaptations have been made.
Making an appeal/challenge does not entitle you to withhold payment. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax, so you should keep paying whilst you are appealing.