Environmental Information Regulations (EIR)

Please note: there may be delays to processing your request for information due to the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We are endeavouring to do what we can to minimise disruption.

The Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004 gives you the right to access recorded information held by the Council or any other public sector organisations.

Anyone can request information – there are no restrictions on your age, nationality or where you live.

Environmental information includes:

  • the state of the elements of the environment such as air, water, soil, etc
  • factors such as substances, energy, noise, waste, etc
  • measures such as policies, legislation, plans, etc, that relate to the above
  • state of human health and safety including contamination of food chain, conditions of human life, etc.

Before you make a request

You might not need to make an EIR request to get the information you need, as we publish information in the following sources:

  • Publications Scheme - we routinely make available different types of information on our website.

Making an EIR request

To make a request you must provide:

  • your full name (as the applicant)
  • correspondence address (either email or postal)
  • a clear and well defined description of the information required.

You can send your EIR requests by email to foi@telford.gov.uk or by to post to:

Information Governance
Telford & Wrekin Council
Darby House
Lawn Central
TF3 4JA.

Will there be a charge?

We are allowed to recover the costs of printing, copying and postage and package. We will provide you with a fees notice prior to processing your EIR request if this applies to your request. To avoid any costs we recommend you submit your request by email.

When will you respond?

We will contact you to acknowledge we have received your request. Under the EIR we have 20 working days to respond to your request. However if clarification is required from you in respect to what information you are requesting then the 'clock stops' until you have provided satisfactory clarification.

What if I'm not satisfied with the response?

Our response will contain full details of how you can make an appeal if you are unhappy with our response. It will also provide details of how you can make a complaint if you are unhappy with how your request has been handled.

Discussing an EIR request

If you would like to discuss a previous EIR request or have a general enquiry then please contact the team using the following details. 

Information Governance team

Telford & Wrekin Council
Darby House
Lawn Central

Telephone: 01952 382537
Email: foi@telford.gov.uk

Last updated: 19/03/2020 11:13