The United Kingdom (UK) and the European Union (EU) have agreed a "flexible extension" of the Brexit process until 31 January 2020. The extension can be terminated if a withdrawal deal is agreed.

We are working on local and regional planning for leaving the EU. Telford & Wrekin Council is part of the West Mercia Local Resilience Forum, a multi-agency forum made up of Police, Fire, Ambulance, NHS, Local Authorities, Environment Agency and others.

On this page, you will find a wealth of information and guidance, provided by central government, for both residents and businesses that relate to civil resilience, environmental health, licensing and trading standards.

Please click on the following headings to reveal more information.

The Withdrawal Agreement can be found in full on the GOV.UK website.

UK nationals living in the EU

There is a large amount of information provided on the Government's Website to help you prepare and understand how leaving the EU might affect you or your family.

  • work - includes workplace rights and working in the EU
  • going and being abroad - includes passports, foreign travel advice, pet travel and mobile roaming fees
  • transport - includes driving licences, vehicle insurance and flying to the EU
  • environment - includes environmental standards and food labels
  • business and industry - includes consumer rights, banking and selling online
  • education, training and skills - includes studying abroad and Erasmus+ (EU programme for education, training, youth and sport).

Further Information on how to prepare:

The EU Settlement Scheme enables European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens resident in the UK, and their family members, to get the status they will need to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021 (or after 31 December 2020, if there is a no deal exit).

Applicants only need to complete three key steps:

  • prove their identity
  • show they live in the UK
  • declare any criminal convictions.

It is designed to be as simple and straightforward as possible and will prove their right to work, housing and benefits in the UK.

An EEA citizen with permanent residence status who wishes to continue living in the UK after then will either need to apply to the scheme or, if they prefer and are eligible, apply for British citizenship.

Permanent residence is a status acquired under EU law whereas the scheme secures their status under UK law.

Apply to continue to live in the UK after it leave the EU

There are more than 80 locations where applicants can have their passport scanned and verified across the UK.

ID document scanner locations.

Assisted digital support is available at more than 300 locations, with a network of more than 65 tutors who provide in home support, and there is also a dedicated telephone advice and support service for the scheme.

EU settlement resolution centre

Dedicated telephone advice service with more than 1,500 staff who process EU Settlement Scheme applications. The Home Office has also translated communications materials into 26 languages. Alternative formats can be requested.

Telephone: 0300 123 7379

Contact UK Visas and Immigration about your application.

It makes sense for businesses to prepare for different Brexit scenarios. For advice for your business, just answer a few short questions on the Government's business readiness website to help understand how leaving the EU may affect your business and what you can do to get ready.

Brexit business readiness events

The Government has recently announced a series of free UK-wide Brexit business readiness events 

Advisers from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; the Home Office; HMRC; the Department for International Trade and the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs will be on hand to advise what actions businesses will need to take to prepare for a no-deal Brexit. 

For more information please visit the GOV.UK website.

Brexit preparedness workshops

The Department for International Trade is running a series of events to help exporters get ready for Brexit. For more information please visit the Get Ready for Brexit website.

Get ready for Brexit webinars

HMRC is running webinars that will provide an overview of what UK businesses need to do to keep importing and exporting goods between the UK and EU. For more information please visit HM Revenue and Customs - Get Ready for Brexit website.

Tariff regime

The Government has published an update to the UK’s temporary tariff regime if we leave the EU without a deal. For more information please visit the GOV.UK website.

No deal guidance for digital, culture, media and sport sector

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has published several guides for preparing for a no deal Brexit for DCMS sectors. For more information please visit the GOV.UK website.

Shropshire Chamber of Commerce and the Government offer information around Brexit to support businesses:

There is lots of information of the Governments Website to help you prepare and understand the impact of Brexit on your business:


The latest, comprehensive advice remains the published guidance for all schools, available on the GOV.UK website.

School food

Medicines and medical products

Data protection

Schools Government Contact

  • If you are representing a school and you have any questions while preparing for Brexit, please contact the Department directly on the GOV.UK website.

Higher Education Sector

  • Operation Brock is a new system to reduce traffic disruption to the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel.

Last updated: 1.44pm on Tuesday 29 October 2019

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact