Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Apply to transfer a vehicle licence

An applicant for a vehicle licence must be the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned.

An individual person, partner, or company director wishing to licence a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle must complete a basic criminal record disclosure application (except where an applicant is a driver currently licensed by Telford & Wrekin Council and they want to submit their existing enhanced disclosure/DBS update service reference number instead of a new basic disclosure, the Council will accept that). Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about completing a basic criminal record disclosure application.

To transfer a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Licence

Complete our online application form to transfer a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Licence

Download the Council's policy for hackney carriage and private hire licensing

A vehicle licence can be transferred from one proprietor to another upon application to the Council and must be done within 14 days of the vehicle changing ownership. The Proprietor of a licensed private hire vehicle wishing to replace a licensed vehicle with another vehicle must apply for a new private hire vehicle licence. 

The fee for a transfer application for a Vehicle Licence is £90.

The vehicle must be insured for hire and reward. In the case of an "Any Driver" policy, the insurance certificate must be accompanied by a schedule of drivers who have been declared to the Insurance Company.

A transferred licence will be issued for the period up to the expiry date on the existing licence. 

Last updated: 25/09/2023 11:25

  1. Introduction
  2. How to apply
  3. Contact