Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Apply to renew your Dual Driver Licence

Renewal of your Licence

You can apply to renew your Dual Driver Licence up to one month before the expiry date. 

Expired/Revoked/Surrendered Licence

When a licence lapses, the Council will not permit any ‘periods of grace’ for the submission of a renewal application unless there is satisfactory evidence of exceptional circumstances that are accepted by the Council. A new application must be submitted.

What we will do with your Personal Information

Telford & Wrekin Council’s Licensing Service is collecting your personal information for the purpose of meeting the statutory requirement of determining whether you are fit and proper to hold a licence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

Telford & Wrekin Council will not share any of your personal data collected with external organisations unless required to do so by law when your data may be shared with other regulating bodies. However, there may be occasions where we request further information from key third party organisations such as other regulating bodies and Doctors.

National Register of Refusals, Revocations and Suspensions

This authority uses the National Register of Refusals, Revocations and Suspensions (NR3S). This means that:

  • applications for new hackney carriage/PHV driver licences and for renewals will be checked on the NR3S
  • where an existing licence is revoked, suspended or an application for renewal or a new licence is refused by Telford & Wrekin Council, this will be recorded on the NR3S
  • information placed on the NR3S Register will be retained for up to 11 years
  • any person whose information is placed on the NR3S Register has a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner.

Contact NAFN Data and Intelligence.

For further information on the Council's Data Protection Policy or to contact the Council's Data Protection officer visit the Council's website.

View information on the Council's policy for using the NR3S register by downloading the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy.

National Fraud Initiative
This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud.

It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

View our privacy notice for further details on the Council's privacy arrangements.

Right to Work in the UK

If you were an EEA citizen when you were first granted your licence by Telford & Wreking Council, you now require immigration status in the UK in the same way as other foreign nationals. If you have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) since 1 July 2021, you have your right to work protected while your application for EUSS is determined. You will need to provide a Certificate of Application (CoA) with your renewal application for a Dual Driver Licence. Telford & Wrekin Council will verify this certificate with the Home Office Status Verification, Enquiries and Checking Service (SVEC).

If you have a time limited Right to Work permit, your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence renewal application, this could include Telford & Wrekin Council checking your immigration status with the Home Office. We may otherwise share information with the Home Office.

You must either share your immigration status using the Home Office online checking service ‘prove your right to work to an employer’ if your status is compatible with the service, or provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check. Where an online check has been carried out, the ‘profile’ page confirming your right to work will be copied and retained by the licensing authority. Where a manual check is carried out, and you have provided a document(s) set out at the GOV.UK website to view list of documents relating to the right to work checklist you must provide the original document(s). The document(s) will be copied, and the copy retained by the licensing authority. The original document will be returned to you. 

HM Revenue and Customs

You must compelte a tax check if you’re applying to renew a licence for a:

  • hackney carriage driver licence (dual driver licence)
  • private hire driver licence (dual driver licence).

If you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you’re:

  • renewing a licence
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority.

You will need to provide Telford & Wrekin Council with your Tax Check Code when renewing your licence. The Licensing Service must then use your tax check code to confirm that the tax check has taken place before they can grant or refuse your application.

Visit the GOV.UK website to complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence.

Valid Application

Your application will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced. If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it, together with your badge, to Telford & Wrekin Council. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Medical and Driving Licence Checks

Medical Certificates and DVLA checks must be renewed when you renew your licence. If you have not already signed up to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service, you will need to complete an application for a Criminal Record Disclosure (see stage 1 below) and also sign up to the update service. 

Applicants who have lived outside the UK for three continuous months.

Any applicant who has spent three continuous months or more living outside the United Kingdom from the age of 18 years, will have to provide evidence of a criminal record check from the relevant country for that period. Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on criminal records checks for overseas applicants.

Application Process

Your application will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced and the relevant fee has been paid.

There are 4 stages in the application process:

Pre-Application Assistance

Do you need help in getting your application right?

If so, the Licensing team can provide you with expert advice to ensure your application is submitted correctly. This can ultimately save you time and could lead to you obtaining your badge much quicker!

Our service will include assisting you with:

  • getting registered with Taxi Plus for Disclosure & Barring Service, DVLA records and right to work checks
  • if applicable, how to obtain your Overseas Criminal Records Check
  • completing tax checks with HMRC
  • how to book your Medical Examination
  • providing endorsed photographs
  • referring applicant to the council’s policy and website to complete application form
  • what documents are required when collecting your badge.

Our service will provide you with exclusive time with one of our Officers who will clearly explain to you what is needed.

You will be given an appointment time to come into our offices to go through all the requirements

For a fee of £70 we can take the headache out of the application process. Interested? Then, email us now for more details or to book an appointment. Contact licensing@telford.gov.uk.

Stage 1 - renew your DBS, DVLA and right to work checks

Complete the following online by visiting the TaxiPlus website:

Please note: you will be required to make an online payment to TaxiPlus if you require all the checks of £72.49, or £12 for a DVLA check only.

If your current licence was issued before 1 April 2021 and you have spent three continuous months or more living outside the UK since you were 18 years of age or if your current licence was issued after 1 April 2021 and you have spent three continuous months or more living outside the UK since it was issued, you must apply for a criminal record check from that relevant country. Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on criminal records checks for overseas applicants.

Stage 2 - complete the Council's online application form for a Dual Driver Licence and pay the Licence Fee

Once you have completed the TaxiPlus Online Application, you will be given a Reference Number. As soon as you have that number you will need to complete the Telford & Wrekin Council online application form for a Taxi Driver Licence.

Please include the following items with your application:

  • passport style photograph
  • a copy of your Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (if applicable and already received form the Disclosure and Barring Service)
  • a copy of your overseas criminal record check (if applicable).

Complete our online form to apply for a taxi driver licence

Please pay your licence fee and badge cost of £163.50. Payment can be made online by visiting the eStore payment system or by debit/credit card by telephoning 01952 381818. 

Stage 3 - renew your medical certificate

You need to book your medical appointment:

This can be with your usual doctor and medical practice or with any doctor of your choice provided that the doctor has sight of your medical records summary (you must request these from your registered medical practice and take it with you to your medical appointment). Contact neighbourhoodservices.support@telford.gov.uk or telephone 01952 381818 to notify the Council of the date of your medical appointment. Your Council medical forms will be sent directly to the medical practice specified on your application for the doctor to complete within 2 working days of the Licensing Service receiving your completed application form. If your chosen medical practice does not carry out vision assesments, you must inform the Licensing Service and provide the name and email address of the optician you wish the vision assessment forms to be sent to. The doctor/optician must return the forms and signed certificate directly to the Licensing Service. Medical payments are your responsibility. The medical standard you are required to pass to be a taxi driver is DVLA Group 2 Standards. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about the DVLA Group 2 Standards. If we are unable to grant you a licence, any payments you have already made for your medical will be non-refundable.

Stage 4 - completion of the process - issuing your licence

As soon as you receive your Disclosure and Barring Certificate (if applicable) and/or a copy of your overseas criminal record check (if applicable) contact the Licensing Service on 01952 381818 or email a copy to licensing@telford.gov.uk.

Once you have satisfactorily completed stages 1, 2 and 3 of the application process, your licence can be issued. Please phone 01952 381818 or email neighbourhoodservices.support@telford.gov.uk to make an appointment to collect your licence. Your licence will normally be issued for 3 years unless you have a time limited Right to Work permit or a time limited DVLA driving licence.

At the time of your appointment, you will need to bring with you:

  • your expiring badge
  • your right to work documents (if you are an EU Citizen or you have a time limited right to work permit) - you must provide the original document(s), such as your passport or biometric residence permit, so that the check can take place. The document(s) will be copied and the copy retained by Telford & Wrekin Council. The original document will be returned to you.

Last updated: 28/03/2024 13:45

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact