Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Apply to become a Private Hire Operator

The applicant for a private hire operator licence can be an individual, partnership or limited company.

To operate from a home address may require planning permission. If you have commercial premises you wish to trade from, you may need "Change of Use". View information on how to contact our Planning team for further advice.

New applicants for an operator licence are required to provide proof of a right to work in the UK by visiting the GOV.UK website to view the right to work checklist.

All applicants for a private hire operator licence must prove that they are a fit and proper person to hold a licence. Telford & Wrekin Council requires an applicant to provide an annual Basic Criminal Record Disclosure (unless the applicant is a current driver licensed by Telford & Wrekin Council and they want to submit their existing enhanced disclosure/DBS update service reference number instead of a new basic disclosure, the Council will accept that). If the private hire operator is an individual, they must provide the Criminal Record Disclosure. If the private hire operator is a company, then the company director(s) named on the application form must provide the basic Criminal Record Disclosure. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about an annual Basic Criminal Record Disclosure.

Licences will normally be issued for a period of five years. However where an appliant has a time limited right to work permit, licences will be issued only up to the expiry date of the work permit (if it is for fewer than five years).

A private hire operator licence cannot be transferred from one individual, partnership or limited company to another.

Download the Council's hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy

Last updated: 04/04/2023 16:58

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I apply?
  3. Contact