Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Council Tax refund

You may be entitled to claim a refund if you have overpaid your Council Tax. This could happen if you have, for example:

  • moved address
  • been awarded a discount or an exemption
  • the Valuation Office have reduced the band of your property.

Where you will be due a refund because you have moved or something else has changed, you will first need to tell us about your change of address or about the change in your circumstance.

Visit our My Council Tax Portal to tell us about your changes

Before requesting a refund please ensure you read the following.

If you paid your Council Tax by Direct Debit and you will no longer be liable for Council Tax at a property within the Telford and Wrekin area, the credit on your account will automatically be refunded to the bank account from which you paid your Council Tax. Please wait for your revised Council Tax bill before submitting a refund request.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit and your refund is over £1000, bank verification will be required to process your refund. When requesting a refund please upload a copy of your bank statement to show your name, address, sort code and bank account number (your transactions can be blanked out). Failure to upload bank verification will delay processing your refund.

Where you remain liable for Council Tax at another property within Telford and Wrekin, any credit will be transferred to a Council Tax account that has an outstanding balance. A revised Council Tax bill detailing new instalments will then be sent to you.

Refunds of Council Tax are usually paid directly into the bank account of the person(s) whose name is on the Council Tax bill.

Complete our online form to request a Council Tax refund

Last updated: 19/09/2023 10:44

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact