It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the road, highway or pavement. Obstructions are objects which have been unlawfully placed on or which overhang the road, highway or pavement.
Examples of obstructions are given below:
- builders materials
- overhanging tree branches, hedges
- mud or debris on the road
- mixing concrete or mortar on the highway
- unauthorised vendors or traders
- encroachment of highway boundaries
- discharge of water onto the highway
- blocking rights of way
- illegal signs.
If a person without lawful authority or excuse in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence. In such cases the Highway Authority has legal powers to enforce their removal.
How do I report?
Last updated: 16/08/2022 10:27