Madeley Pit Mounds are a unique collection of five sites in Madeley, south Telford – approximately 44 hectares of distinctive wooded pit mounds which are linked historically and archaeologically and an important feature of the local landscape.
The five spatially separated but closely associated component sites have been designated as a single united Local Nature Reserve.
Things to see and do
The pit mounds were created from the spoil of mining and were abandoned in the early 1900s.
Since that time nature has been gradually reclaiming the sites and today they are a rich mix of woodland, scrub, grassland, marsh and streams which in turn supports a wide variety of wildlife.
Look for woodpeckers, slow-worms, butterflies, bats, wildflowers, dragonflies - and species which like silver birch and heather.
Observant walkers and visitors (bring binoculars if you have them) may be lucky enough to encounter a variety of species during a stroll around one or more of these special locations.
We want everyone to be safe when visiting our sites that have water features within them.
We work closely with the Royal Life Saving Society on managing water safety on our sites and further details on advice can be found on the RLSS website.
When visiting this site, here are a few tips to keep safe around the water:
- keep out of the water at all times
- never allow children to play near the water unless accompanied by an adult
- don't run near the water, you may trip and fall in
- learn how to help in an emergency; if you see someone in trouble in the water never jump in yourself. Stay calm and phone for help. Some sites across the borough have water safety sites and equipment, please only use the equipment when required.
How to get there
View the location of Madeley Pit Mounds on Google Maps:
- Tweedale Pit Mound - TF7 4GR
- Hills Lane Pit Mound - TF7 5UD
- Blists Hill Pit Mound - TF7 4BY
- Meadow Pit Mound - TF7 5JU
- Madeley Court Pit Mound - TF7 5DW.
Visit the Arriva Bus website for the Arriva Service bus routes and bus numbers 1, 2, 4 and 96.
- Tweedale Pit Mound - There is no parking available near this site.
- Hills Lane Pit Mound - Legges Way public car park is located on Legges Way and Le Dingle Bridge car park is located on Coalport Road, TF7 5DT.
- Blists Hill Pit Mound - Legges Way public car park is located on Legges Way and Le Dingle Bridge car park is located on Coalport Road, TF7 5DT.
- Meadow Pit Mound - Mound Way car park located on Mound Way, TF7 5HS.
- Madeley Court Pit Mound - There is no parking available near this site.
Madeley Town Council
Telephone: 01952 567280
Last updated: 26/10/2022 14:22