From Ironbridge’s historic role in the industrial revolution to the creation and development of a new town that’s become a hub for engineering and manufacturing, Telford and Wrekin has a proud reputation for innovation and enterprise.
Over the last half-century the borough has diversified and matured into a thriving, attractive place that residents are proud of and a desirable location to live, work and raise a family thanks to the high quality of life on offer. The past ten years alone have seen:
- A track record of securing significant inward investment - with one of the largest foreign direct investments into the UK in recent years Magna Casting has built a casting plan for Jaguar Land Rover parts.
- The continued development of Telford town centre - including the development of Southwater, a new bus station and a new fashion quarter.
- Growth in the borough’s army of volunteers and community groups - who played a critical role in the borough’s response to the pandemic.
- The boroughs reputation as a place to visit has grown - for example through the events and concerts in the Town Park including most recently Bryan Adams and Tom Jones.
- A growing reputation as a place people want to come to live - people moving from the Black Country now accounts for the majority of the borough’s annual population growth.
Here we set out a vision for where we want the borough to be in 2032. It identifies what we want to see delivered in the next decade in order to build on the progress of the past 10 years. Fundamentally, it is about creating a place where all residents prosper, whatever their background, and tackling some of the big issues facing the borough today.
This vision has been developed and will be delivered by a partnership of organisations from across the borough that includes:
- Telford & Wrekin Council
- Telford and Wrekin Council for Voluntary Service (CVS)
- Job Centre Plus
- Harper Adams University
- NHS Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Integrated Care System (STWICS)
- Telford & Wrekin Interfaith Council
- Youth Offending Service
- West Mercia Police
- Shropshire Fire & Rescue
- Telford College
- Shropshire Chamber of Commerce
- NHS Shropshire Community Health Trust
- Telford Business Board
- Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The aim is to set out a clear ambition and direction of travel for the borough – which together as partners we will work together to deliver. By working collaboratively we will each be able to have consistent conversations when engaging with regional and national investors and policymakers to influence and shape decisions about the future of the borough.
Last updated: 20/09/2022 15:06