Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Council Tax banding

What are Council Tax Valuation Bands?

Council Tax is a local tax set by the Council to pay for local services. Residential properties are placed into one of eight bands (A-H) based on the price they would have sold for in April 1991.

Your band will determine the amount of Council Tax you pay, Band A is the lowest charge and Band H is the highest.

This table shows the Valuation Bands at 1 April 1991.
Valuation Band Values as at 1st April 1991 (£)
A Up to 40,000
B 40,001 - 52,000
C 52,001 - 68,000
D 68,001 - 88,000
E 88,001 - 120,000
F 120,001 - 160,000
G 160,001 - 320,000
H More than 320,000

How can I find out the band of a property?

The Council do not set valuation bands; this is done by the Valuation Office Agency who are an independent agency of HM Revenues and Customs.

Visit the GOV.UK website to check your Council Tax banding

What do I need to do if I move into a new build property?

Once you have notified the Council that you have moved into or purchased/rented a new build property, the Council will notify the Valuation Office Agency.

Tell us you have moved into a new build property

There will be a delay in sending a council tax bill whilst your property banding is assessed. We will provide you with your council tax account reference, although we cannot issue a bill until the property band has been allocated. We would recommend that you make a payment during this period to offset any increase in your instalments due to this delay in billing.

Download the Council Tax banding levels in Telford and Wrekin

Once your property has been valued, your council tax charge will be calculated, based on the amount set for your property band.

Download our Council Tax information leaflets.

Last updated: 23/04/2024 12:42

  1. Introduction
  2. Challenge your property banding
  3. Contact