Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

In year admissions

Moving school in-year

How to apply for a place at a Telford primary, infant, junior or secondary school at any time after the normal intake.

What to do if you are moving house?

Many Telford schools are full and you are advised to contact the School Admissions Team regarding possible vacancies.

You can send your application at any time before you have moved. However, we will only start processing your application 6 school weeks (half a term) before your requested start date. We will not use your new address until you have moved in and sent us satisfactory proof of your move, including proof of you selling or renting outyour previous property. A letter of intention to purchase is not sufficient.

Military families

Telford LA understands that the families of UK service personnel often have to move at short notice. If we receive an application along with an official letter from the MOD, FCO or GCHQ stating a relocation date, we will then begin the process in advance of the relocation, based on the address of quarters that the family have been allocated.

Catchment areas and distances to schools

Moving into the catchment area for a school does not guarantee that you will be offered a place. If the school is full we will not be able to offer a place, but living in the catchment area will give you a higher priority on the waiting list.

When applying on line you will be advised of your catchment school. If you need more information prior to applying please contact the School Admissions Team.

What to do if your child is experiencing difficulties at school

Before applying for a school place you must contact your child’s current school to arrange an appointment with the Head Teacher, Head of Year or your child’s form tutor/class teacher to discuss a possible course of action. If your child is being bullied you may ask to see the school’s ‘Anti-Bullying Policy’.

Applications for pupils in years 10 and 11

Moving children after GCSE options have been chosen puts them at a disadvantage. It is unlikely that the same GCSE options will be available as schools often follow different courses.

Unless you have moved house or have a significant reason for wishing to move your child, schools may be reluctant to admit your child.

Waiting lists

If we cannot offer a place at one of your preferred schools you will have the opportunity for your child’s name to be added to the waiting list. Waiting lists are kept until the end of the academic year.

Waiting lists are in order of priority against the admission criteria for the school. Your child can move down a waiting list if another child with a higher priority joins the list. If a vacancy arises at a school the place will be offered to the child at the top of the waiting list.

Your right of appeal

If you are not happy with your outcome you can appeal against the decision, view more information about the appeals process.

The appeal process can take up to six weeks. Appeals are not heard during school holidays.

Applying for a place at a school outside Telford

If you want to apply for a school outside Telford you should contact the Local Authority for that school and find out what you need to do.

Applying for a faith school

If you are applying for a faith school you should check with the school whether you need to complete a supplementary information form. The supplementary form should be obtained from, completed and returned to school.

Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) you will still need to apply for a school place, however, the process is different. To find out more from the SEND Team please contact them via email on SENDandinclusion@telford.gov.uk.

Children who are home educated

When allocating school places for children who are home educated, the Local Authority will liaise with the Advisory Teacher for children who are home schooled for additional advice.

Fair Access Protocol

There is a Fair Access Protocol which is designed to ensure that unplaced children, especially the most vulnerable are found and offered a place quickly.

If your child has been attending a pupil referral unit, the process for allocation of a school place may take longer than 15 days. This is to ensure that the Local Authority can secure the correct school placement via the Fair Access Panel.

Proof of address

We will use your new address when you have moved into your new home. You will need to tell us the date you moved and send us proof that you have left one property and moved to another. There is not a complete list of documents that we will accept. The onus is on you to send us as much as you can and we will consider it. For example:

  • signed and dated tenancy agreement for your new property (tenancy must cover the period from the time of application to the start date at the school)
  • proof of sale or renting out your previous property
  • new and final Council Tax bills
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit award letter
  • new utility bills showing set up and usage if appropriate
  • final utility bills
  • bank or credit card statement
  • home insurance
  • Royal Mail post re-direction
  • invoice for removals.

In some circumstances a Council officer will make an unannounced visit to your home.

You are responsible for giving us correct information. Providing false information may lead to your child's offer of a place being withdrawn.

Last updated: 06/09/2022 11:01

  1. Introduction
  2. Application process
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact