The Council's procurement and contracting arrangements are designed to ensure that we achieve best value for the public purse. In order to manage this, procurement officers follow not only Telford & Wrekin Council’s internal Contract Procedure Rules and financial regulations, but also relevant UK and EU legislation.
The value of a contract determines the procedures that all council officers must follow with respect to how many quotes they need to obtain, or whether a tender process must be entered into.
Supplies and Services
Below £10,000 – The Officer can approach single suppliers but must be able to prove best value through market analysis and by requesting informal quotes direct from suppliers.
Between £10,000 and EU Threshold – The Officer is to advertise the requirement on the Council website and Contracts Finder by using the Council’s eTendering system to undertake a Request for Quote (RfQ) process.
Above EU Threshold – The Officer must carry out a formal tender including a full advertisement in The Official Journal of the European Union through the Council’s eTendering system.
The Council will also work within the EU Directive ‘Light Touch’ regime which applies to Health, Social and other Services where there is unlikely to be any cross boarder interest.
Construction and Work
All construction suppliers used by the Council to quote/tender for carrying out building works must meet the following criteria:
- contractors must have signed up to the Councils safe working document
- all contractors must be accredited with the CHAS scheme
- all contractors must be a member of Constructionline
- contractors must hold a public liability insurance cover of a minimum of £5,000,000.
If you wish to be considered for future works either service, maintenance or installation your company would need to meet the above criteria. It may be that you already meet some of the above criteria and therefore you will just need to inform us.
Please view the safe working document which sets out the minimum health and safety standards that we expect. If you agree to abide by these standards, the contractors declaration needs to be completed and returned with proof of your employers and public liability insurance cover.
If you are not already accredited with the CHAS scheme or members of Constructionline please visit their websites for further information.
Once you have met all the above criteria please contact/forward all correspondence to Sarah Williams on 01952 384507 or email@example.com, who has access to all of the relevant bodies' databases.
The Councils list of pre-qualified contractors is large so please note that inclusion on the list of contractors does not guarantee that you will be invited to provide a quotation or tender for construction works.
- below £50,000 – officers will carry out mini competitions between suppliers on the Council Approved Contractor data base
- above £50,000 – officer will advertise the requirement through the Telford Buyer Portal and Twitter #tenderCOGS and carry out a formal tender through the Councils eTendering system
- works contracts over £4,348,350 – officers will carry out a formal tender and must complete an advert for the Official Journal of The European Union (OJEU).
The Council is required to consider whether to consult on how the economic, social and environmental well-being of the Borough might be improved through commissioning and procurement. View our Social Value Policy.