The Mayor has decided to support the Jayne Sargent Foundation and Telford Mind as part of the Charity Appeal for 2020/21.
Jayne Sargent Foundation
The Jayne Sargent Foundation was set-up in 2014 in memory of local resident Jayne Sargent who fought a ten year battle with breast cancer. Jayne's husband, Colin Sargent set-up the Foundation alongside six other trustees in order to make a difference in Telford and Wrekin after identifying that there were limited resources to help him and his family when they needed it most during Jayne's illness.
The Foundation aims to provide support to families of those affected by cancer locally. As an independent charity they continue to offer services they believe those affected by cancer will need to best support them on their cancer journey. The Foundation run a number of fundraising events and activities and also host a free Support Group on the last Tuesday and second Thursday of each month to allow residents who find it difficult to ask for help to seek comfort by sharing their thoughts and concerns with others going through similar circumstances.
Their services are available to both men and women living within the Telford and Wrekin area; whether recently diagnosed or a survivor. Together the Foundation help find positive ways to live with cancer with friendship and support from others who understand the most.
Telford Mind is a leading local mental health charity which has been established for over 30 years. Affiliated to National Mind and relying solely on donations, they exist to provide support for individuals who are experiencing mental health problems or emotional distress.
Telford Mind is based within Court Street Medical Practice in Madeley offering a range of services including:
- Workplace Wellbeing Support - provides customised mental health support for employers and their employees within Telford and Wrekin. This can include 1-2-1 listening, tailored mental health training and mental health awareness
- Drop-In Listening Support - trained members of staff available to talk to on a 'walk in' basis to the practice without a pre-booked appointment.
- Court Street Community - working in partnership with Court Street Medical Practice to provide non-traditional social prescribing to improve health and wellbeing
- Helping Hands out of Hardship - working in partnership with Citizens Advice, Stay and Crisis Support to provide support for residents who are experiencing financial hardship
- Calm Cafe - offers residents a place to meet others who are like-minded and gain support from trained members of staff
- Inspire U - a 6 week programme that focuses on emotional health and wellbeing of parents. The session aims to increase self-esteem, provides coping strategies, education and goal setting.
Services are available on a self-referral basis to anyone aged 16 years and above.
How can you support the appeal?
Please send in your donations to:
Telford & Wrekin Council
Telephone: 01952 380110
Donations can be accepted by cash, card and cheque.
Alternatively, you can donate using the Mayor's on-line fundraising page by visiting go fund me website.
For further information about the Charity Appeal please contact the Office.
Last updated: 05/06/2020 10:49