Trading Standards are responsible for preventing the spread of disease amongst farm and commercial animals and for ensuring that they are properly treated on the farm, during transportation and when being sold.
We do this by:
- inspecting livestock gatherings and markets
- having responsibility for controlling animal disease outbreaks (foot and mouth, avian influenza)
- inspecting animals at gatherings or in transport
- inspection of animals on farms
- checking the cleanliness and suitability of vehicles
- inspecting farm records
- responding to emergencies regarding injured or diseased livestock
- ensuring the correct disposal of fallen livestock
- monitoring licences for movement of animals
- liaising and working in partnership with the APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency).
View more information about animal health and welfare in the guides available on the Business Companion website.
Last updated: 13/12/2019 10:14