Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.


Repatriation of a deceased body from overseas to England

The foreign registration authority will issue a death certificate, which will need to be taken to the Registrar of the district in which the burial or cremation is to take place. The Registrar will issue a document called a 'Certificate of no liability to register'. This document should be given to the Funeral Director in order to allow the funeral to proceed.

Repatriation of a deceased body from England to overseas

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will receive a body for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the area for three months preceding the death.

Cadaver certificates

The formality of obtaining a Cadaver certificate is usually handled by a Funeral Director making the arrangements on behalf of relatives. However, anyone can apply. The Funeral Director will also help with anything requested by the Coroner, and with the requirements of the authorities in the overseas country to which the deceased is going. Some of these requirements may apply for burial in another part of the United Kingdom.

The certificate is issued by the Environmental Health Officer of the council in the area the person died, or is to be exhumed from before reburial elsewhere.

Last updated: 26/07/2022 15:41