In many cases, bereaved families contact central and local government multiple times following their bereavement. Tell Us Once is a service that allows you to tell multiple government agencies about a death all at the same time. The service is offered free of charge.
How does Tell Us Once work?
When you register a death, the registrar will explain Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number so you can use the service yourself, either online or by telephone.
These will include, for example, the deceased's passport, driving licence, National Insurance number, benefit statement or tax reference. If you cannot access the service online, please call 0800 085 7308.
Here is a short video, produced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), explaining Tell Us Once:
Who does Tell Us Once notify about the death?
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits.
- The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, e.g. Income Support.
- The Passport Office - to cancel a passport.
- The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence.
- Your local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council Housing Services and remove the deceased from the electoral register.
- Public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments.
How will I know who has been told?
You will be able to print a list (if you've used the online service) or will be sent a letter (if you've used the telephone service) that details your reference number and which organisations have been notified on your behalf, together with contact details in case of any query. Those organisations may contact you separately to confirm that the relevant processing has been completed.
How is the information given to Tell Us Once treated?
All of your information is treated securely. The organisations that receive your information will use it to update their records, but only as the law allows.
I used the Tell Us Once service but have not heard from all of the organisations who were notified. What should I do?
Tell Us Once will notify all parties of the bereavement, provided you have given the necessary consent. Organisations will not always make contact. However, you may contact the Tell Us Once telephone service with any further enquiries on 0800 085 7308.
Last updated: 12/02/2021 15:39