Advice on alcohol
There is plenty of information online about alcohol and the effects.
- Visit the Alcohol Concern website for advice and support about your drinking habits.
- Visit the Drinkaware website to find a range of tools, advice and support to help you make better choices about drinking.
- Visit the NHS Choices website for advise and support about alcohol dependency.
- Visit the NHS One You website for support and practical advice to change your drinking habits for good.
By law it is legal for people aged 18 and over to buy and drink alcohol. However, this doesn't mean it's safe.
When consuming alcohol we're supposed to be keeping an eye on how much we drink, but how many of us really know how much we drink or what a unit of alcohol is?
- Visit the NHS Choices website for information about alcohol units.
- Visit the Drinkaware website to use a unit calculator to find out how many units are in particular drinks.
Alcohol contains a lot of calories. Wine, beer, cider, spirits and all our favourite drinks are made from natural starch and sugar. The calorie count will increase when mixer drinks are added.
Advice on drugs
If you need treatment for drug addiction, you're entitled to NHS care in the same way as anyone else who has a health problem. With the right help and support, it's possible for you to get drug free and stay that way.
Lots of families in the UK are living with a loved one who is using or trying to come off drugs. If you're the parent, partner, child or carer of a drug user, you may feel worried, frustrated and alone. It's important to recognise this and get the help and support you need.
Anabolic steroids are prescription only medicines that are sometimes taken without medical advice to increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance. If used in this way, they can cause serious side effects and addiction.
If you have an addiction, you're not alone. According to the charity Action on Addiction, 1 in 3 people are addicted to something.
Need help with your addiction?
Telford STaRS is a free and confidential specialist drug and alcohol treatment service for people across Telford and Wrekin.
Anyone who might have a problem with drugs or alcohol, and anyone who is being affected by someone else problems with drugs or alcohol (for example, a partner, a parent or another member of your family), can visit us for help and support.
STaRS is led by inclusion (part of South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust) working with Aquarius and Willowdene.
Telford STaRS can offer:
- information and advice - we will talk to you about what is going on, and give you the facts about drugs and alcohol. We give you advice to keep yourself as safe as possible while you drink or use, and if you want to have a go at self-help we can set you on the right path
- needle exchange – we can give you clean equipment for free, talk to you about how to keep yourself safe if you inject, and help you get tested for ‘Blood Borne Viruses’ like Hepatitis and HIV
- substitute prescribing – we can prescribe medication to help people stop using alcohol or opiates i.e. Heroin.
- detox – we can help you to detox from alcohol or opiates i.e. Heroin
- psychological therapies – we can provide counselling, 1 to 1 therapy or group work
- health and wellbeing checks – we can help you check out your physical health as well as your mental health
- online access – we offer some treatments and therapy online
- practical help – we will support you with problems like debt, housing and getting back into work
- peer support – we have good links with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and SMART groups
- dedicated support for families and carers – we can offer one-to-one support and groups for people who are affected by someone else in their lives using drugs or alcohol.
Get in touch with Telford STaRS...
We offer help to anyone age 10 or over who lives in Telford and Wrekin
Telephone: 03004 564291
Our main clinic for adults (18+) is at White Chapel House, Whitechapel Way, Telford, TF2 9FN.
Our young peoples centre is based at The Glebe, Glebe Street, Wellington, Telford, TF1 1JP.
We will also have other places across Telford where you can meet with us.
Recharge Telford is a community interest company. We support under 21’s to overcome their individual barriers. We provide group projects and support with:
- drug and alcohol addiction and emotional well-being
We place young people at the centre of all that we do and we strive to innovate and develop new approaches to service delivery that offers young people the best possible opportunity to change their lives.
c/o Brookside Central
Telephone: 01952 660000
Where the rehab and community come together, Supported Housing for the 21st century.
A Better Tomorrow is a Community Interest Company (CIC) and was established in August 2014. We are an abstinence based, residential recovery project that provides supported housing to male adults who are in recovery from alcohol and drug addiction.
We are based in the Telford area, but are happy to accept referrals from outside of the local area. We provide support to clients who are committed and motivated towards making life changing decisions and feel they are ready to move forward positively with their lives. Our aim is to provide clients with the skills needed for everyday living, without the use of mind altering substances. We provide practical on-going support within the community, introducing self-management skills and the ability to monitor self-behaviour.
Peer-led supported housing and supported activities such as: football, dog walking, boxing training, fishing, cooking, road cycling, art, music and meditation.
- Park Lane Centre, Woodside, Telford, TF7 5QZ.
Phone: 07970 695987
Adult aftercare, recovery and mutual aid facilitation service. You can speak to someone who has been where you are now.
Call TACT: 01952 899204
Where can I dispose of and get clean injecting equipment?
- Asda Donnington - 01952 621710
- Rowlands Hadley - 01952 242179
- Rowlands Stirchley - 01952 596620
- Anstice Madeley - 01952 585717
- Lloyds Wellington - 01952 255833
- Telford Stars - 0300 456 4291
Last updated: 06/04/2021 12:15