Drugs and alcohol

Advice on alcohol

There is plenty of information online about alcohol and the effects. Some useful websites:

By law it is legal for people aged 18 and over to buy and drink alcohol. However this doesn't mean it's safe. For more information on alcohol, the effects, risks and the law, please visit the Talk to Frank website.

When consuming alcohol we're supposed to be keeping an eye on how much we drink, but how many of us really know how much we drink or what a unit of alcohol is? The NHS Choices website has lots of information around alcohol units. Use the unit calculator to find out how many units there are in a single drink or a number of drinks.

Alcohol contains a lot of calories. Wine, beer, cider, spirits and all our favourite drinks are made from natural starch and sugar. The calorie count will increase when mixer drinks are added. Visit the Drink Aware website to calculate the calories in your drinks.

Advice on drugs

If you need treatment for drug addiction, you're entitled to NHS care in the same way as anyone else who has a health problem. With the right help and support, it's possible for you to get drug free and stay that way.

Advice for families of drug users - Lots of families in the UK are living with a loved one who is using or trying to come off drugs. If you're the parent, partner, child or carer of a drug user, you may feel worried, frustrated and alone. It's important to recognise this and get the help and support you need.

Anabolic steroids misuse - Anabolic steroids are prescription only medicines that are sometimes taken without medical advice to increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance. If used in this way, they can cause serious side effects and addiction.

Addiction: What is it? - If you have an addiction, you're not alone. According to the charity Action on Addiction, 1 in 3 people are addicted to something.

Need help with your addiction?

Telford STaRS is a free and confidential specialist drug and alcohol treatment service for people across Telford and Wrekin.

Anyone who might have a problem with drugs or alcohol, and anyone who is being affected by someone else problems with drugs or alcohol (for example, a partner, a parent or another member of your family), can visit us for help and support.

STaRS is led by inclusion (part of South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust) working with Aquarius and Willowdene.

Telford STaRS can offer:

  • information and advice - we will talk to you about what is going on, and give you the facts about drugs and alcohol. We give you advice to keep yourself as safe as possible while you drink or use, and if you want to have a go at self-help we can set you on the right path
  • needle exchange – we can give you clean equipment for free, talk to you about how to keep yourself safe if you inject, and help you get tested for ‘Blood Borne Viruses’ like Hepatitis and HIV
  • substitute prescribing – we can prescribe medication to help people stop using alcohol or opiates i.e. Heroin.
  • detox – we can help you to detox from alcohol or opiates i.e. Heroin
  • psychological therapies – we can provide counselling, 1 to 1 therapy or group work
  • health and wellbeing checks – we can help you check out your physical health as well as your mental health
  • online access – we offer some treatments and therapy online
  • practical help – we will support you with problems like debt, housing and getting back into work
  • peer support – we have good links with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and SMART groups
  • dedicated support for families and carers – we can offer one-to-one support and groups for people who are affected by someone else in their lives using drugs or alcohol.

Get in touch with Telford STaRS...

We offer help to anyone age 10 or over who lives in Telford and Wrekin:

Telephone: 0300 4564291
or visit the Telford Stars Website

Our main clinic for adults (18+) is at White Chapel House, Whitechapel Way, Telford, TF2 9FN.

Our young peoples centre is based at The Glebe, Glebe Street, Wellington, Telford, TF1 1JP.

We will also have other places across Telford where you can meet with us.

Adult aftercare, recovery and mutual aid facilitation service - speak to someone who has been where you are now.

Get in touch on 01952 899204 or visit the TACT Telford website.

List of GP's who provide Substance Misuse Treatment in the Community - Are you registered with a GP who provides this service?

Which pharmacy in my area is able to dispense my prescription for treatment?

Where can I dispose of and get clean injecting equipment?

  • Rowlands Pharmacy, Stirchley Health Centre, Sandino Rd, Telford, TF3 1DY.
  • Rowlands Pharmacy, Unit 6, Hadley Centre High Street, Telford, TF1 5NF.
  • DARS - Substance Misuse Service, Portico House, 22 Vineyard Road, Wellington, TF1 1HB.

Last updated: 10.15am on Thursday 10 October 2019

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact