Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order

Sometimes activity on the highway requires a temporary speed limit reduction, a temporary suspension of a one way system, a temporary prohibition of right turn or a suspension of on-street parking. Such closures require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) issued by the highway authority. 

Please note: 'Highway' is a road, verge, footway, public footpath or bridleway.

All administrative costs for a TTRO and associated signing will have to be met by the person or organisation requesting the TTRO.

Please be aware that the Council may not grant a TTRO. For this reason it is recommended that you contact us to check that the activity will be able to go ahead before it is publicised.

As there is a legal and consultative process to be undertaken, at least twelve weeks’ notice of TTRO is required (longer on bus routes).

View further information on the types of closures and how to apply:

We will only agree to a TTRO if no other feasible solution can be found. You will not be granted a TTRO to locate site accommodation or store materials on the highway.

You must ensure that delays are minimised and whenever practical you must:

  • maximise the working day e.g. working 24 hours/7 days a week
  • avoid peak times
  • use alternative traffic control where possible
  • use a suitable diversion route if required.

Application form for a TTRO for works on the highway:

We will aim to respond to your application within 10 working days. If you have not had a response within this time, please contact us.

Last updated: 05/09/2022 14:44

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact