Temporary traffic lights and stop/go boards

Any person wishing to apply for temporary traffic lights or stop go boards should be aware of the requirements of the following:

  • The Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984
  • The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1981 (as amended)
  • Department of transport Circular Ref: ID 21/85.

The contents of these publications are such that any temporary traffic lights used on the highway must be of an approved design and marked with the appropriate crown label.

The lights must be in full working order and must be used in the vehicle actuation mode at all times unless written approval is obtained from the Highway Authority.

Any requests for fixed time or manual operation of the lights should be made separately in writing but may be attached to the application.

Last updated: 17/03/2021 14:48

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I apply?
  3. Contact