Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Street parties, parades and carnivals

This information is intended for organisers of an event on or near the highway such as a street party, parade or carnival that will require the closure of a road or footpath.

Please be aware that the Council may not grant a closure order. For this reason it is recommended that you contact us using the details on the right of this page to check that the event will be able to go ahead before it is publicised.

The Council makes a charge for organisers for this type of highway closure. The level of the charge depends upon the organisation and the number of people who will be attending. Download the guidelines for the cost of the closure.

Before you apply

This table shows who to contact.
Who to contact What to check

Does your event clash with any others that have already been approved?
Is the proposed location suitable? 

Visit the West Mercia Police website Do the police offer no objection to your application?

Applying for a street closure order

You must complete an application form, please read the guidance notes carefully before you do.

Applications must be made a minimum of 12 weeks before the event. This allows us to check if your proposed event clashes with other major events or planned road closures. We will aim to respond to your request within 10 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time please contact us.

Full details of the event are required for the Traffic Order including timings, streets to be closed and alternative routes. Special requirements such as parking restrictions in or next to the closure should also be highlighted.

Any event on the highway must be adequately signed and the signs must be approved by the Council. Download examples of the correct signs. Please note: it is the responsibility of the applicant to sign the closure and diversion route.

Please note: that advertising your event on the highway is illegal.

The event organiser is required to carry a minimum of £5million Public Liability Insurance. The Insurance Certificate must be enclosed with the road closure application or your application will not be processed.

The event organiser must consult with police to ensure that they are satisfied with the provisions made for safety. Once we receive your application we will check that the police have no objection. If they have any concerns, your application will not be processed. 

Last updated: 19/03/2024 10:21

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact